Thursday, January 29

Movie Review: The Wrestler


I don't know what to say really. I was really looking forward to seeing this movie and maybe that's exactly why I didn't 'enjoy it'. I enjoyed the performances certainly. Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei certain deserve every last snippet of publicity about their performances...

The story in itself is pretty depressing, I don't know why but I was expecting to get something more out of it like being uplifted or something, I think I had some parallel-type-expectation to Million Dollar Baby. Don't know why really.
But really it was sad. A bit too violent for me and the pace at times was a little painful. It focussed on the wrestling and violence of wrestling too much I believe. Yes, yes, I know it's called 'The Wrestler' but I would have liked to see more of his history, what made his life tick and indeed what the end was all about. In short I think it's a failing of the director in my eyes, and at times some pretty poor editing.

I would still recommend people see it, for the performances, but not one you'd want to see if you a) don't particularly take kindly to violence or b)feeling a little low or feeling 'down and out'. Apparently the story is based on real-life. I think I'll have to look into that a bit more.. might give me some more peace with the ending.

Mickey Rourke really did give the performance of his life. Not sure if he's up for an Oscar though. A very brave performance from Marisa, she really is mostly naked (and looks fantastic) for the duration. Her character like Mickey's is very three dimensional.

Next Movie on my list is 'Milk'.

Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Nisha on January 30, 2009 at 6:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yayy! Im so glad you share my point of view Liss! Everyone had been raving about this movie to me and in the (rather abrupt) end i was left feeling very flat.

MR was good but not oscar worthy... then again the academy do pick some doozies some years!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015