Wednesday, January 28

Not a record I'd want to break....


Apparently Australia is heading towards breaking the heatwave barrier with the warmest temperatures in heatwave fashion (i.e. series of days - I think four?) since records began. We've had our share of the heat last week and it's still mighty humid in Sydney but poor South Australia, 47 forecast today in Ceduna (for those farenheit people that's close to 117degF..)

For those going over 40 today (Melbourne, Adelaide for example)
I feel for the pregnant, elderly and furry pets on days like these.The official recommendations are:

  • Reduce physical activity
  • Stay indoors
  • Keep hydrated (no alcohol)
It's too hot to cook, so it's days like these the only recipe I'd be trying out is new iced tea or a cordial! Maybe a salad prepared early in the morning?
Boston Iced Tea: (makes 2 litre)
  • 1.5 litres water
  • 1/3 cup caster sugar
  • 8 tea bags (personal favourite Twinings' English Breakfast)
  • 500ml Bickfords Cranberry Juice
This is a salad I made in the wee hours for my hubby for his lunch today - tasted good to me! Good source of protein.
Egg Salad
  • 5 eggs, boiled in 'furious water' for 4 minutes (i.e. boil water first)
  • 1 stick of celery, finely diced
  • 1 spring onion, finely diced
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon mayonaise
  • sprinking sweet paprika
  • couple of pinches of fresh (or dried if you must) dill

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Emily on January 28, 2009 at 8:53 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Summer was slow to come out of the blocks in Melbourne but wow, it's definitely here in force, that's for sure! I can't wait to get to the other side of this heatwave. I'm drinking like a fish so I have enough milk for the little ladies. I'm very thankful we have air conditioning.

I think ice cream sounds like a good idea for dinner lol

Lalee on January 28, 2009 at 11:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrgghhhh the heat!!! I am agreeing with the ice-cream for dinner gig though hehehe :)

Think I am going to have to give that egg salad a go!!! :)

mummabee on January 29, 2009 at 6:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh dear! It's times like this I'm glad I don't live in Australia - it never really gets hot or cold here, just mild all year round.....Hope the heatwave doesn't last too long (and also that you've got aircon!!)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015