Monday, January 26

Celebrating the Inner Ocker...


It's funny how the more you travel, the more patriotic you realise you are. Back before I started my worldwide travels many years ago I used to look upon Australia Day as a mere public holiday and a day off school/work/extra night at the pub.

My first Australia Day overseas was in 1993. I had just moved to London 4 weeks prior and went to an expat Aussie Day BBQ with a friend who worked across the road from where I did.
It was I think a top of 6 degrees that day and as we made our way on the tube to Earls Court (of course!) I thought about the Manly Ferry Race, the sunshine, the outdoor recreation mecca that was home. I felt a little homesick but still excited about the adventure I was on. Everyone had affected Australian accents and I indeed would be destined to have over the coming weeks and months.
The actual barbeque was a small disposable type-affair in a rocky backgarden with no grass, and it generated so much smoke I couldn't see, and eventually went inside because it was so cold! The burnt pork sausages didn't really cut it either but hey, I wore my aussie rugby jersey, I attempted a barbeque, I went to an aussie pub afterwards and I had an Australian beer (yes, Fosters - blergh!) I felt Australian, I was proud to be an Aussie.
This year was a family affair with my Mum still visiting and my Sister and her family and my Nan... yummy food, great company and bearable weather.


Some of today's recipes:
Yummy Salsa:
This is seriously devine. I serve with natural cornchips.
  • 3 large vine ripened tomatoes finely diced
  • 1/2 red onion, finely diced
  • 1 red chilli (I remove the seeds, leave them in if you like really spicy)
  • Juice of one lime or 2tb prepared lime juice
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Chickpea Salad

  • 2 cans of drained chickpeas
  • 1/2 red onion, finely diced
  • 3 tb olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic crushed
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander
  • 1 sprig of fresh thyme, 7-8 large leaves of mint, handful of italian parsley, finely chopped
  • 3tb red wine vinegar
  • sprinkle cumin powder
  • Salt to taste

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Krysbrem on January 26, 2009 at 10:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Must have been the day for chicpea salad Liss, I made one this morning too.

Meagan on January 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

LOVE that salsa, I could eat it with a spoon!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015