Sunday, June 26

Sunday baking project - self-saucing sticky date pudding


There are always mysteries in life:
- Why didn't we win lotto? (well it would help if we remembered to buy the ticket)
- How do the kids know to lose their shoe on a day you can't be late to school?
- Why has it taken me two-and-a-half-years to share this recipe?

To be honest, I thought I had.  I cleaned out my pantry last weekend and I had two big packet of dates - and don't get me wrong - the frills eat them, sometimes I need to hide them.  But two big packets, I thought it was begging to be made into a sticky date pudding... and my hubby loves them... and... I'm spoiling him a little at the moment as he's just come home from hospital.  (Back surgery, he's on the mend!)

So I came on to this very blog and I searched.  And I searched again.  Hmm.. surely I have blogged this?  I have definitely made this in the past 2 years, I have it on a scrap of paper from a friend's Mum... hmmm?  No, I had NOT.  I was a little surprised and excited!

So here it is, the absolutely simple, amazing and DELICIOUS sticky date pudding - with built in sauce.. go crazy!

Ingredients:
200g dried pitted dates, roughly chopped
1 tsp bicarb soda
80g margarine
1 3/4 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 3/4 cups self raising flour


Method:
In a bowl, mix through the bicarb soda with the dates.  Pour over a cup of boiling water and let stand for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 190 degrees c
Cream margarine and 3/4 cup of the brown sugar together and then add eggs and cinnamon and flour.

Lastly mix through the dates (with liquid) and mix until well combined. Pour into greased baking dish and scatter with remaining cup of brown sugar.

Mix 1 tb margarine into a cup of boiling water.
 Then pour over the back of a spoon (to avoid breaking the pudding batter) over the pudding batter.
 Place in the oven for 25-35 minutes until top has cake-like appearance and is slightly browned.

Serve with cream or icecream!


So friends, tell me - you going to try this and also, what's world's greatest mystery to YOU?
Print this post in friendly format

11 lovely comments:

Catherine on June 26, 2011 at 7:21 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I always wished sticky date pudding could be self-saucing, now it can be. I'm very excited - it's my favourite dessert.

Leimay on June 26, 2011 at 8:57 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

pitted dates have been added to my shopping list... now to find time to go shopping today so we can have this for dessert tonight!
Does curry apricot chicken and self saucing sticky date go together??? Maybe this will be for tomorrow night instead

Broni on June 26, 2011 at 9:21 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks so good. I am going to have to go and get the ingredients so I can try this.

Bel on June 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Aww man, why couldn't you have posted this earlier this week!!! I used up the last of my dates on a cake. Now I'm gonna have to buy more to try this. damn huh?

Maureen on June 27, 2011 at 3:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

How easy is this? I've always made the cake bit and then made the sauce and then whipped the cream. I will definitely be trying it this way.

Sticky date pudding has been a favourite since moving to Australia.

Nikkie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Made this last night and yum-o! However there didn't seem to be very my sauce spread throughout the pudding. How do I increase this for next time?

Liss on July 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Nikkie Hi Nikkie :) I would double the amount of brown sugar sprinkled on at the end and double the water/butter mix to pour over xx

koko said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Made this tonight. Hubby (who is not a big dessert fan) loved it!! It's his favourite one now.

So easy to make and so yummy.

JodieD said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This was AMAZING and sooooo easy!!! I made double the sauce, served with Ice cream, YUMMO!

Looking forward to left overs tonight when the kids are in bed so i don't have to share!!

Karen @ Cobblefields on June 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yes!! will definitely make this one for the pot luck dinner!

BMG said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wonderful - been looking for a replacement recipe for this for a while. Thank you for posting it!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015