Thursday, June 9

Simple and delectable: Slow cooker roast chicken and vegetables with stuffing!


The slow cooker is totally central to convenience in winter.  I love the idea of preparing something at breakfast time or lunch time and having it ready at dinner.  It is the life-saver of many-a-mum who has a crazy afternooon schedule.  School pick-ups, after school activities, homework, readers, notes, playdates and bathtime - where is the time to make dinner?

This is the beauty of the slow cooker.  Of course there's also the added bonus of stumbling in the door after it's been cooking all day and smelling your dinner, cooked.  It fills the house with a warm and welcoming perfume that beckons: 'come in, relax... dinner is done'.  I just love that.

When I make whole chicken in the slow cooker I'm usually up for drunken chicken - but I found myself mysteriously out of Chinese rice wine (OK it might have been me dousing homemade dumplings in them...ahem) early one morning when I had a full day planned out of the house... so I had to think on my feet.

Roast chicken?  hmmm.  I read somewhere that some people put cream of chicken soup over the top of their whole chicken in the slow cooker.. and let it cook.. but I didn't have any and I was running out of time so I just made this up.... added my favourite stuffing and then put it on a bed of veges like my slow cooker pork roast.

Results are amazing!  So doing it again!!


Ingredients
1.6-1.8kg chicken (I love free-range they taste so much better, promise!)
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
50g butter
1 small or 1/2 large brown onion, finely chopped
1 tsp dried or 2 fresh sprigs sage
1 tb french onion soup mix
1 tsp olive oil
500g chat potatoes, sliced in half
2 large carrots, peeled, and chopped into large chunks
1 litre chicken stock


Method:


Make your stuffing, process (or mix in a bowl if you finely chop your onions)

Stuff your chicken and run your fingers under the skin of the breast to loosen it.

Mix the soup mix and oil together and rub underneath the skin.


Place your potatoes and carrots on the bottom of your slow cooker (add other root vegetables like parsnip or turnips too if you like!) and place the chicken on top.

Pour over your stock and put the lid on - place on low for 8 hours, medium/auto for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.

Come back to this.  The chicken will be moist all over and very flavourful.  remove it and the vegetables from the pot, and add a little more stock and cornflour and quickly make up a gravy....!  Serve with greens and devour!

Psst: don't forget - Breville is giving away two fast/slowcookers (a slow cooker which can also do pressure cooking - which is cooking in 1/4 of the amount of time of slow cooking!) this month at Frills!
Enter to win one through Frills facebook here  AND win the other here on the blog!
Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Anna on June 9, 2011 at 8:01 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've had a slow cooker on my top shelf for nearly a year, and I'm inspired to finally use it.

I'm generally useless in the kitchen, so this may be a silly question.... but, if you are out of the house for longer the 7 or 8 hours, can you leave something on for longer, or do I need to invest in a timer? Sometimes I'm out for 11 or 12 hours (Long Commute) and I've never been sure.

Liss on June 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@AnnaHi Anna! I would invest in a timer for sure - that would make your life so much easier! :)

Megs on June 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks delicious! Definitely going on the next meal plan, yum!

Lulu on June 9, 2011 at 2:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love my slow cooker- it is small though and they definitely are not common here. It is fantastic in winter though. I can imagine it will become even more used once the boys go to school.

Nice to connect on twitter- I look forward to checking out some of your other recipes and more.

Susan Whelan on June 9, 2011 at 10:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I LOVE my slow cooker in winter, but I've never thought of cooking a roast. I'll definitely have to try this. I'm so much more enthusiastic about preparing a meal earlier in the day and I agree with you, walking into the house after running around with the kids in the afternoon and having the smell of dinner greet you is wonderful.

Leimay on June 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've never done a roast chicken in my slow cooker but this sounds great. I don't do stuffing normally but i think i'll try this one as is and see how the family enjoy it

rose on July 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have a slow cooker that I use often happily; is yours different to make the chicken so oven brown looking??? keep lid on or off??? great idea slathering all that good stuff under the skin with the crockpot. (I noted that your pork roast went into the oven after the crock). Enjoy your posts - Thanx


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015