Thursday, June 16

Warm me up: Easy MICROWAVE banana coconut tapioca pudding


No, I haven't won the lottery.  Yes, I bought a banana.  But I bought a few sugar bananas and you need only one for this recipe so if you're needing your fix of banana but feel guilty at the thought of spending $3.00 for one of them, don't worry.  One won't hurt and we need to support our farmers who are doing it tough right?

First time I ever had tapioca (or sago as some know it) was in Malaysia about 10 years ago.  I was in Kuala Lumpur for work and met up with an old school friend who was working and living there.   He took me to a 'bubble tea' house and we took the monorail to this quaint little place designed to fit it seemed 30 people seated in an area the size of my bedroom.    Everyone was friendly and Russell told me I was going to love it as I watched the huge milkshake-like glasses with enormous straws move past me.  Eventually our order arrived.  It was like milky sweet flavoured tea and at the bottom were little balls of jelly-like bubbles (the sago) which explained the width of the straw.

My first sip I was mixture of excited and perplexed. The texture of the sago reminded me of boogers but the tea was all so good.  It felt so naughty.  It tasted so great.  They were beautiful and cold.  It was hot and sweaty outside - we made our way through the menu and between us I think tried the entire menu.   We had dinner and I headed back to my hotel room.  It was a lovely evening.

Next day I was off to Bangkok but I couldn't move.  I felt like someone had kicked me fair in the back and I was holding my breath.  I struggled to get on the plane and called into the office and gave my apologies as I didn't feel well.   I called my family - my Dad being in the Navy had done his fair share of tours of south-east Asia and I thought he might know what to do.  My Dad asked me exactly where the pain was and asked me what I had eaten/drank in the past 24 hours.  I told him about the bubble tea house and he laughed and asked how many I had:  'Oh about 8 or 9 of them'.  He said 'Liss, you've given your kidneys an overload of tannin.  You don't drink tea normally - your poor kidneys are teaching you a lesson'.

And it seemed they were.  On Dad's orders I drank a lot of (bottled) water that night, about six litres and by the next afternoon I was fine.  That night I went out for dinner with colleagues and was served coconut banana tapioca pudding - and fell in love.  Not a booger in sight. Please give this a try if you haven't had it before - the kids will love it and so will you!

Ingredients:
2/3 cup raw sago or tapioca 
400g tin coconut cream
1 cup milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large sugar banana

Method:
In a microwave rice cooker, place all ingredients with exception of the banana and stir well.



Place in microwave for 15 minutes.  Remove, and leave to sit for 5-10 minutes.

Chop banana and then stir through chopping it up a bit more with the spoon as you go.

Serve!


So friends - have you tried sago or tapioca before?  Do you think you might?

Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Petra on June 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum, I must try this! I splurged on a banana the other day too :)

Katie M on June 16, 2011 at 5:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I loooove sago! I grew up with it, my mum used to call it 'frogs eggs.' Thanks for a new sago recipe to try, looks good, Liss!

Seana Smith on June 16, 2011 at 8:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I used to love my mum's tapioca pudding. Have tried to make it twice as an adult with disastrous results both times. Will try this recipe and hope for the best as I'd love my kids to experience the lovely sensation of sago.

Kate @ Our Little Sins on June 17, 2011 at 9:09 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Love love love sago pudding - the golden syrup and lemon variety but this looks waaaay better. Off to get the banana now!

PinkPolkaDots on June 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss, really looking forward to trying this one - sounds yummy! I love warm banana in desserts and here in Hong Kong the bananas are not so expensive so this makes them more attractive :)
PS: your "printer friendly" links are not working so well, i printed 2 of your recipes tonight and they both printed the complete page of your blog including pictures and the frills header. you might want to check it out...


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015