Thursday, June 23

Garlic and Parmesan or sweet chili cheese twists



Back when we lived in the more 'cosmopolitan lifestyle' - when we used to frequent restaurants at least weekly, movies fortnightly and sleep in til noon - yes we had no children. We also used to enjoy a 'quiet ale' at the pub and on the way home in cooler weather we'd stop by the baker on the way home - and he would be making these twists.  Depending on my mood it would be which one I'd buy - but truth be told the sweet chili was my favourite, garlic and cheese was hubby's.

Last week hubby asked me if I remembered them - the twists - and I laughed because yes, of course I remember them but can understand his perception that perhaps it was SO long ago (three lifetimes in fact) that I might not.  I made a mental note to make them because they aren't that hard  - so glad I did - not only was it a wonderful blast from the past but an easy way to lunchboxes full too.

One word of warning though - they are a bit moorish.

Ingredients:
4 cups plain flour
1 tsp dry yeast
1 tb dried herbs
300 ml warm water
2 tb canola oil
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1 clove garlic
40g butter, softened
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Method:
To make dough, mix yeast into warm water and oil, leave to sit for 5 minutes.
Mix into dough and knead until soft and elastic, adding water if it is too dry.
Put into a greased bowl, cover with clingfilm and allow to prove for 2 hours or until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

Divide dough into 2 pieces.  Roll out first piece  into a baguette shape over a floured surface.

Roll it our as flat and as square as you can, then spread over sweet chili sauce.


Add mozzarella evenly over the top and then fold the top half of the dough over.  Roll it out flat.

Next cut the dough at 1.5 inch intervals from end to end, then in between each cut make a cut that doesn't extend to the end by the inch, so it makes an almost 'trouser' shape:

Take each slice and take each end and twist them around each other.

Place on greased tray.

When doing the garlic ones, mince garlic and mix with butter, spread over the other half of the dough like the sweet chilli, and sprinkle parmesan cheese in between and on top of twists when you have placed them on the tray.


Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden.

Suitable to freeze for 2 months.

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Diminishing Lucy on June 24, 2011 at 6:23 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

When we lived the dizzy high life of DINKS in the Inner West, lovely husband would buy a twist on the way home for dinner with soup.

Far out, I miss that life at times....

xx

Katie on June 24, 2011 at 6:59 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

*sigh* I hear you girls! Life BC...indeed a different time and civilisation, the food, the fashion and the frivolity. Or as my hubby puts it 'Geez we must have wasted some time!' Guess time seems more precious now and me-moments are few and far between.

Being Me on June 24, 2011 at 8:28 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm going to make these today with the blessed reason why I don't get out and about much anymore! She'll be so excited to help (and eat them). Thanks Liss!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on June 24, 2011 at 9:37 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

MMM these sound lovely. I just need to go buy the cheeses.
So many choices to bake today. I want to make the baguettes to day too.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015