Monday, June 6

Bookmark and share this: Top Ten dinners in under an hour


I wanted to put together a bit of a 'quick reference' for us busy people who don't necessarily have all day to work out what to make for dinner - let alone make them.  Some days just call for something quick and easy and with less guilt and kinder on the wallet than grabbing takeaway - which I know is all-so-tempting!


1.  Calamari rings
Someone I actually had lunch with on Friday asked me what the secret was to good calamari rings - and I told him - it's cornflour!  My hubby makes these and these can literally go from frozen squid tubes run under tepid water for 5 minutes, to being on your plate 15 minutes later.  You won't buy frozen oven crumbed ones again - promise!

Let's face it, at one time or another we've all given our kids some baked beans for dinner, but this is even just as good for adults and in fact, my girls love them for lunch on weekends or as a special treat for Sunday breakfast.

This is my girls favourite fast meal and mine too to be honest, they help me make it and it is super tasty.  Even if you are not a fan of anchovies, don't worry!  

This recipe has inspired many-a-reader to throw away the packet mix because you actually probably already have the ingredients in your pantry.  Easy and delicious.

5.  Pasta bascaiola
This is so adaptable you can use it with any type of pasta - spaghetti, penne, tortellini, ravioli... this one is my Mum's recipe and one I used to impress my friends in my early twenties with.  In fact and ex-boyfriend of mine loved it so much I'm sure he still makes it today.



6.  San choy bau
It seriously takes less time to make this than to order it and pick it up from the local chinese.  Love this one, I tend to make double!

7.  Quick curried coconut crusted chicken thighs
Good lord these are good and ridiculously easy.   Don't tell anyone you make them for how easy they are... will you?

8.   Warm thai beef salad
This does the regular rounds of our dinner table during spring and summer.  Easy, and tasty - quick and good for you - what else could you want?


9.  Pasta all'tonno
This is another one of those recipes that can be made with pantry/regular fridge contents and no need to get yourself a packet mix for tuna pasta bake.  Here it is!! Even my 7 year old daughter can make it!

10.  Almost KFC - except it's baked and a bit more moorish...
Oh and you know what is in it!  You'll be amazed by the taste of these and truly 40 minutes from beginning to end.  You'll be quite popular after making these - but please take my advice - make DOUBLE.  You'll be sorry if you don't.

What is your quick-fix meal?  Which of these do you think you'd try or already have?

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Let the Children Play on June 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Surprised the party pies and sausage rolls I served my boys last Monday didn't make the list ;)

Definately trying the chicken ones.

Kathryn Cava said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummy yummy Yum!!!! Thanks for all these great recipes! Thanks for all the tips. You truely are a star!!! ♥

CraftyMummy on June 7, 2011 at 6:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My quick fix meals are "green pasta" - fettucine with fresh basil pesto, and fried rice.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015