Sunday, June 12

Sunday baking project: Cheaty raspberry, almond and chocolate pie



Holy dooly it's cold in Sydney at the moment.  It's like we're living in the ski-fields but without the glorious snow.  It just makes me want to hibernate - I think those bears have it right you know....  The good thing about this weather is the baking.  And really I'd rather snuggle up and be warm then be sweaty and hot.  I'll be prying my gas bill open this quarter with one eye closed and one hand clutching my chest though.

The frozen strawberries have been staring at me in the freezer for a while and I've not meant to neglect them... but I had them in mind for something like this - I saw the nestle scorched almonds (please buy the nestle ones they are much nicer than all the others) in the supermarket during the week and put them together with my thoughts on a cheat's raspberry pie and it all just came together.
My frills helped - the love to cook and this is an easy recipe any child over 2 could get involved with.

Ingredients:
500g frozen (or fresh if you can get them!) raspberries
16 scorched (chocolate covered) almonds
3/4 cup plain flour
1 egg
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup raw sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk
cream or ice-cream to serve


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c
In a pie dish sprayed with canola spray, sprinkle your raspberries evenly over the base.

Plop in your scorched almonds, nestle them in between the strawberries, as evenly spaced as you can.


Mix the batter by mixing together the flour, almond meal, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla extract. Give a good whisk to make it smooth.


Pour it over the raspberries and almonds and jiggle the tin/dish so the batter sinks down into them.


Bake for 20-25 minutes until set in the middle and golden on top.  Serve with cream!


ends midnight Monday 13th June 2011.


Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Kate @ Our Little Sins on June 12, 2011 at 4:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummy! I just baked this and substituted the flour for gluten-free self-raising flour. I don't know what it should've tasted like but the gluten-free change was delicious.

The addition of scorched almonds was genius. I might need to be a bit more even next time though. Some people got loads, others none. Oops!

Thanks!

Liss on June 12, 2011 at 4:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@KateYay that it works with GF self-raising flour - GOOD TO KNOW!! Haaa about the almonds, yes, more is... more chocolately gooeyness ;)

Corinne (aka Rinny of Arabia) on June 15, 2011 at 2:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh I'm having people over for dinner on Saturday. I'm not a baker at all, but I reckon I might be able to pull this off!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015