Wednesday, June 8

Chunky cookies - just like you buy at the cafe but you get 10 for the price of 1.



Funny thing about cookies or biscuits.  There's just never enough, but at the same time you can eat too many.   I love a good chunky cookie at a cafe - and usually I'll buy one to share for my girls (OK, maybe two to share amongst the four of us ;) ) but they cost a small fortune!  Like $3-4 a cookie!  I'm shuddering just writing that.  I shall try very hard now to resist doing mental additions of how much money I have kindly given these companies...

These, of course are totally adaptable.  My girls love smartie cookies - in fact they prefer the 'no-name' brand smarties over regular ones... I have no idea why - they just do.. and using those you could make these for under 30c each.  ... No, don't do the maths on how much money you've spent.. focus on how much future savings you can amass...

I think smartie versions would be fabulous in cellophane bags as party favours, and maybe you can make these not only for your cookie jar but for a quick afternoon tea.  Kids love to make these and you can make them in a bowl with a spoon, you don't need a mixer.   I used my food processor because well.... I'm a little in love with it still...

Makes 24
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup quality cocoa
150gr melted butter
2 eggs
t tsp vanilla extract
130g (1 cup) shelled macadamias
150g chocolate of your choice, chopped up or in pieces (If not using macadamias increase to 200g)


Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

In a bowl or mixer combine all ingredients with the exception of nuts and chocolate.


Mix through macadamias and chocolate.

Roll into balls around the size of a golf ball, place on a greased baking tray and flatten down slightly.  Given them some room to spread.

Bake for 12 minutes/until cooked.  Cool on tray.


These can be frozen if you like to limit yourself or have them on hand for 'treats' or playdates (like I do!)

Do you buy cookies or biscuits?  What are your favourites?
Print this post in friendly format

17 lovely comments:

Princess Kate on June 8, 2011 at 9:41 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look yum! I want to attempt them today. Is there an easy way to print the recipe?

Princess Kate on June 8, 2011 at 9:42 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Dorothy
Found it!

Jane on June 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look DIVINE and as much as I want to bake them, I'm going to resist. I've baked way too many batches of cookies lately and am getting a bit worried about the amount of sugar that I'm eating as a result! Perhaps I'll just look at the pictures on this post instead. And try not to lick my screen... xxx

Holly on June 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow, these cookies look great, i'll definitely be mkaing a batch this weekend! Just one small query though, if I was to leave out the cocoa, should the amount of flour be increased to make up for the lack of cocoa? Thanks!

Amy on June 8, 2011 at 8:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

YUM!

FrankieandNicole on June 8, 2011 at 8:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh WOW! Cannot wait to try these.. and 10 for the price of 1? Bring it on..maybe not ON to my thighs though ;-)

Maryandlil on June 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

drooooooooooooool!

Bettin said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made them last night - DELICIOUS!!! I forgot to get the macadamias from the shop which I was a bit disappointed in, but I added the extra choc like you suggested; YUMMY!!!! Thanks!

Liss on June 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@BettinYou are so welcome Bettin, I'm thrilled you tried and loved them, thanks for letting me know xx

Jacinta said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just made them and they didn't quite turn out like the pictures but still very yum. I might leave out the cocoa next time though. I'm a chocoholic and even I found it to be a little too chocolatey.

CC on June 12, 2011 at 4:57 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! I love a chunky cookie (or pretty much any cookie, actually). I look forward to trying out your recipe. I particularly like that it uses melted butter and you can make it in a bowl and I don't have to get out the mixer ( and wash it and put it away)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just made a batch to celebrate the long weekend. Ate it with some milk.... HAPPY DAYS! Great recipe! (just make sure you don't make too many haha)

Seana Smith on June 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We made these tonight, myself and two very, very willing helpers. The cookies are delicious, the cookie dough is equally delicious. Next time we need to press ours a bit flatter. Great treats for all family.

Princess Kate on June 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Finally made these and they didn't come out quite as pictured and the dough was very dry. Did you use white or brown sugar, Liss?

Still very yummy!

Liss on June 23, 2011 at 1:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Dorothy I used brown sugar :) Did you use white?

Seana Smith on July 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss, just reporting on next batch - fantastic! I made double quantity and plan to freeze some... well, hopefully! My biggest bowl wasn't quite big enough. Clearly need a bigger bowl.

Leimay on July 24, 2011 at 5:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Was meant to be day 5 of Frills week but hubby cooked up another batch of chicken schnitzels and i was too stuffed to bake anything lol.
So Day 6 part 2 of Frills week! I'm already in heaven and i haven't put anything together yet lol


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015