Wednesday, June 22

Mighty Milo Muffins



Some Wednesdays are just Wednesday - other Wednesdays are hump days.  I'll never forget the first time I heard that term.  I was seventeen and my then boyfriend came over for dinner.  We all sat at the dinner table and the usual jovial over excited and volumous conversation was going on.  This was only heightened by the visitor to which my younger sisters were trying to be 'cool' for.

We lamented about our days, Mum's and Dad's at work, mine and the boyfriend's at school - when my boyfriend cheerfully announced: 'Oh well - at least it's hump day!' and gave me a nudge.  I hadn't heard the term at that point and clearly neither had my parents whose eyes had grown quite large and were almost sending laser-like glares in our direction. 'You know, Monday-Tuesday, you get up to the hump of Wednesday and then Thursday Friday down the hump to the weekend'... My mother broke into laughter and my father chuckled, whether from relief or seeing the horror on my face, I'm not sure.

Hump days quite regularly take me back to that dinner table and I chuckle.


Ingredients: (makes 6 large or 12 small muffins)
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
2/3 cup milo
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
60g butter, softened


Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c.

In a mixer add all ingredients, mix until smooth.

Pour into muffin or cupcake papers until 3/4 full.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.
You may choose to make these as a quick lunchbox treat or a dessert - great warm with icecream and chocolate sauce... just the thing the get you over the hump.

So today, is it Wednesday or 'Hump Day' for you?
Print this post in friendly format

11 lovely comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes on June 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh stop it - those look delicious - and must, must, must be made.

PS: Glad I'm not the only one who thought hump day meant, well, humping...

Diminishing Lucy on June 22, 2011 at 11:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wednesday is my gym/kindy/dealing with mother/grocery day. Once I am done with a Weds, I can exhale...

I love the look of these muffin cup papers too!

xx

Genine stubbings said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Think these will be made in our house today. May the will be my entry for your fantastic comp

Unknown on June 22, 2011 at 5:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Even though I could tell where that story was going I still LOL's when I read your parent's reaction. Funny. Milo muffins sound delicious. Now if only I had someoen who could cook them for me?!!

Senga said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've just taken these out of the oven and they smell delicious! Thank you. For a special morning tea tomorrow I am thinking of popping some crem cheese icing on them :)

Rachel W said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks so much for this recipe. I've just made them with my four year old daughter and she is currently tasting one and telling me 'Mummy these are delicious!'
Am sure my son and husband will love them too. We added a handful of frozen raspberries to the recipe and they taste great. Thanks for sharing such fun and delicious recipes. I love receiving your emails.

MultipleMum on June 24, 2011 at 2:40 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These sound delicious Liss! I will add them to my list of baking options (I have been trying to whip something up at least once a week). Love your hump day story - I bet you were beetroot red as a 17 year old at dinner with her parents and boyfriend! x

Kez said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These are in the oven as I type. However, it must be noted that the batter is simply divine, they almost didn't make it to the oven!!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I didn't have any Milo so I used chocolate Nesquick instead..worked perfectly! Thanks x

Helen @vintageglorybox on Insta and FB on February 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This comment made me giggle so much that I might just have to make the muffins to get me over this rainy hump day!!

Thanks Liss!

Unknown on August 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look delicious! And simple to make. Afternoon tea is sorted.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015