Wednesday, June 29

Homemade LCM's ready to eat in 20 minutes (or less)!



I might be a lunchbox nazi but I do like to treat my frills every now again with something fun at home.  This is something could make for the lunchbox with sultanas instead of sprinkles and avoid the colourings by using white marshmallows.  If your kids beg you to buy LCM's but you can't justify the $4 a packet - here's your answer because this makes 12 of them for about $3.

And come on, they take less than 10 minutes to make and the kids can help with the mixing  and the sprinkles... these are an easy promise to make!

Ingredients:
50g butter
175g packet marshmallows (I used pascal berry swirls, the smell is a bit much whilst it's cooking but it tastes nice as a final result)
4 1/2 cups rice bubbles
sprinkles or mini chocolate chips (optional)


Method:
Grease a slice tray with canola oil and fill a bowl with the ricebubbles

In a saucepan over low heat melt the butter and marshmallows together

Mix the marshmallow mix into the ricebubbles, work quickly and spread throughout the rice bubbles.

Pour into the slice tray and sprinkle with your desired topping.  Press down (I did it with piece of baking paper to avoid any colours transferring or sprinkles sticking to my fingers)

Leave to set on the bench for about 10-15 minutes, then slice.
Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.

Great for parties too!  So do you think you'd make these for you or the kids? (Hubby and I ate our share, we'll just say that!)  Think this is genius? Share with your friends!  
Print this post in friendly format

9 lovely comments:

Julie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I cant wait to try this as my daughters first birthday is coming up and this would be the perfect party food for kids!
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2590/dsc5520sm.jpg

Julie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Okay, I'll try again posting the link:
http://www.frillsinthehills.com/2011/06/easy-made-treat-homemade-lcms-ready-to.html

Cant wait to try these as my daughters first birthday is coming up and this would be the perfect kids party food!

Veggie Mama on July 1, 2011 at 10:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

how cute are the little hearts!! I have always wanted to make these, but can't eat marshmallow. for christmas I did a version with white chocolate - yum!

Anorina @SameliasMum on July 2, 2011 at 6:46 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great recipe. My kids love LCMs. Tks

Elle said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I was directed to your blog via Not Quite Nigella, and seeing this recipe? I tell you, a great end to a meh Monday. I'm making these next weekend. No kids, but I have a bunch of co-workers who will love them! :D

Elizabeth on July 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Could you freeze these? Take them out of the freezer in the morning and pop into the kids lunchboxes?? I wonder what they would taste like??

Liss on July 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Elizabeth I wouldn't freeze them Elizabeth, they need to keep dry - if they are exposed to moisture they will fall apart... :)

Kayla said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think I may just have to try these, they look really yummy and so quick and easy.

Natalie on July 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Made these today, so easy and nicer than the bought ones, thanks for sharing :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015