Monday, June 20

A bit on the side: Swede and parsnip bake


I have told you how I'm utterly addicted to food magazines right?  Well every now and then when you're flicking through in a dream-like-state a recipe will pop out at you and say 'Make me!'.  Not that long ago it happened with an advertorial(!!) - this time it's with a side dish.

I love swedes (the vegetable, yes those of you from Sweden I love you too) and when they are in season I use them a lot - I put them in my mash potato - the girls love it and particularly when you have spicy or sweet sauces they mashed swede is just the perfect accompaniment and can really carry a spice very well.

I had a few to use up and seeing this recipe in this month's issue of BBC Good Food (Australia) (if you don't subscribe I seriously suggest you do, just buy one issue you'll understand why) it was instantly on my 'to make list.  It's really easy and not that much extra effort than a mash - but really, I would just eat it on it's own.

Kids will like it because it's got a bit of sweetness to it - just don't them them it's good for them OK?


Adapted from Good Food, June Issue 2011
Ingredients:
2 swedes, peeled and diced
2 large or 6 small parsnips, peeled and diced
2 tb golden syrup
2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
80g butter
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c
Steam or boil your swedes and parsnips until soft

Mash with 60g of your butter and golden syrup, transfer over to a greased baking dish

Mix through thyme and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs.  Using a fork mix some of the breadcrumbs through and blob the remaining butter on top.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and crispy on top.


Serve!  (devour)  Tell me, what's your favourite vege side dish?
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum on June 20, 2011 at 8:02 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! Yum! Yum! We're fans of potato bake at our place but this looks like a must try recipe :-)

Kirsty S said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That reminds me a bit of my friends Dad's famous side dish. He does a roughly mashed carrot and swede dish that has some cream in it (actually, considering it's him there's probably a good slug of cream in it!) and then topped with breadcrumbs and parmesan and put under the grill to toast it up a bit. It's divine!

We're fans of cauliflower cheese... except in this house you get cauli and broccoli and I make a rather large amount of cheese sauce so that the veg are practically swimming in it. It's not the lowest of calories or least fattening, that's for sure, but I make it so rarely these days that we really enjoy it when it's on offer. :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on June 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks delicious! Hehe I love that little shout out to Swedish people too! :P And you want to hear something funny? The word in the word verification below is "sweed" :P


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015