Monday, February 15

Yes, I'm giving you the finger...


Well a few of them actually!  Finger buns!

To be honest, I'm not a die-hard fan of the finger bun.  I remember them being in the school tuck-shop, but I don't remember buying one.  I know I've had them before though, don't know where !  However, my three little frills whenever we pass bakers delight squeal and plead for their 'fun buns' which are round finger buns sold for $1 each.

Always one to try and make something myself I thought I'd give it a try.  WELL let me say this: these are actually fun to make!  I've made a batch of 13 mini-ones - (I'd say it would make 8-9 full sized ones) with this mix, which should last me the week - given that hubby will take one each day to work, And the girls will have two each this week for morning teas.

In this humidity too, they rise beautifully and are fluffy and light on the inside, and sparing the icing - are quite good for the waistlines too.

Ingredients
475g plain flour
35g milk powder
75g caster sugar
2 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
1 egg, lightly beaten
150ml lukewarm water
40g butter, cubed  
1/2 cup currants (optional)


Method:
In a bowl, add the flour, milk powder, sugar and yeast (and currants too if you want them!)


Start mixing in the water and the egg, the dough will be sticky - but knead for about 4 minutes
 Add the butter in cube by cube and continue to knead for another 6 minutes it well combined and quite elastic.

Place into a greased bowl and cover with clingfilm and allow to prove for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.

 
Punch down and hand-knead the dough a second size and then roll into sausage-like shapes.  Place onto greased  baking tray, cover with clingfilm and allow to prove for another hour or until doubled in size.


 Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

Bake for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown on top.

Whilst they are cooling, make some icing with 2 tb of soft margarine or butter and 1 cup icing sugar mixture and a few drops of pink food colouring (or other colouring/no colouring if you wish!)  -whip together until it is a spreading consistency.


When completely cooled, ice your buns and sprinkle (or not!) with coconut or hundreds and thousands, sprinkles or cachous if you're feeling like something special!


Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on February 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Well done! They are amazing! :o They look so soft and delicious! :D

Kat on February 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I, like your girls, love finger buns. I always have to stop my self from buying a whole heap whenever I pass bakers delight. I may just have to give these a go. They would be perfect for work and uni lunches.

Katy on February 15, 2010 at 3:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We love finger buns!! I made some the other week, and it's amazing you can make 3 times as many for the cost of 2 store-bought buns!

Yummmmm.....!

Jean said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh yum yum yum. Definately making some of those, after I get my cross trainer out of the garage so I can work off the calories!!

Jule on June 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss could you please please convert this to a Thermomix recipie? I tried the one on the forum today and the girls weren't impressed.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015