Wednesday, February 17

Shepherds' Pie




Hello everyone, I've felt a bit poorly for the past week, went to the docs yesterday and we'll soon know what the issue is - probably just having three kids and a hectic life!    So feeling poorly there's only one thing to eat and cook:  comfort food.  For me that is easy, yummy food.  Shepherds' pie always seems to fit the bill!

I made it in the AM before it got too warm, and also meant I could rest in the afternoon.  Truth be told, I wish I would make a few of these at a time, because they freeze really well.  But I never seem to........ will make sure I do next time though.  This recipe actually serves our family dinner plus makes 2 lunches for hubby.

Ingredients:
1kg lean lamb mince
1 large brown onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1/4 cup peas (I omitted but only because I forgot in my illness, but add them or sliced beans if you prefer)
1 large or 2 small stalks celery, diced or finely sliced
2 tb tomato paste
1 litre beef stock
2 tb worchestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
2 tb wholemeal (or plain) flour
salt and pepper to taste
1.5kg desiree potatoes
1.5 cups milk
2 tb butter or margarine

Method:
In a large frypan, add a little oil to the pan, and then brown the lamb mince.
Add the onion, carrots and peas (or beans) keep cooking until onion becomes transparent


Add half the stock, the worchestershire sauce, tomato paste, salt and pepper and bayleaves.  Leave to simmer for about five minutes, then add the flour to the remaining stock, and gradually add as the liquids absorb/sauce thickens.

The end result will be a rich gravy after about 25 minutes simmering (not too sloppy) with occasional stirring.

Whilst it is simmering, peel your potatoes and boil or steam them.  Drain and mash with milk and butter.  Add milk gradually to ensure the consistency is stiff but creamy.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

In a large baking or pie dish, pour in your gravied lamb, and then with a large spoon paste on the potato.  Run a fork over the top to make it more 'crinkly'.  This will make beautiful crunchy bits in the oven.


Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes until top is nice and browned to your taste.  Ultimate comfort food!

Hop on over to Blog This and share your comfort food in their latest challenge, issued by a celebrity blogger!

Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes on February 17, 2010 at 8:39 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Get well soon x

this jen day on February 17, 2010 at 9:14 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wishing you a speedy recovery Liss. Shepherd's Pie is certainly one of the ultimate comfort foods - only thing is that you need to get someone else to cook it for you at times like these :)

Karls on February 17, 2010 at 11:03 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh my! I used to LOVE my Mum's Shepherds Pie! I need to make this (when it gets a bit cooler). I'm now hanging for a pie - damn. I just spent an hour at the gym - quite likely in vain.

Delish entry!

Madmother on February 17, 2010 at 1:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am going to dig out Wise Woman's recipe, and pick her brain for any tips now! A dish from my childhood (along with the devon fritters mentioned in THAT ditty) which always mad me happy!


hoozer - a boozed up hooker

Diminishing Lucy on February 17, 2010 at 6:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh, I love your photos of your pie....the forked ridges over the mashed potato......oh I am a carb addict drooling over the look of your pie!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on February 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I hope things are ok Liss aka supermum! :( I've still got some lovely mince that I bought from M&A with you the other day. Maybe I should do something like this! :D

Lor said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh yummmmmy


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015