Sunday, February 21

Sunday Baking Project - Poppyseed Bagels



I'm not a great breakfast eater, of all meals, breakfast is my downfall.  For years I used to eat breakfast when I got to work, picking up a poppyseed bagel, toasted with butter and vegemite.  without.fail.  I never ever got sick of them.

Now I'm at home, and mornings are a routine of 3 frills awaiting their breakfast - two courses of either toast/pancakes/crumpets with fruit and then cereal - I'm lucky if I get time to cook and eat whilst hot the one piece of toast I shove in to my mouth.

The cost of bagels too is pretty astonishing.  For decent bagels, I'm looking at a cost of two loaves of multigrain bread.  I just can't seem to justify it to myself.

So when I saw the lovely Rachel Allen make bagels with her cooking school on Lifestyle food I clapped my hands with glee.  Total glee.  I knew I would make these at least once.  It does look like a bother, but the texture, taste and cost-effectiveness makes it SO worth it.  Indeed, I will be making these again, and hopefully be giving myself a better breakfast going forward!

Ingredients:
Dough
3 1/2 cups plain flour
7g dry yeast
250g warm water
2 tb honey
1 tb vegetable oil

To poach
1 1/2 tb treacle
2 litres water

To bake
1/4 cup semolina
1 egg
1/4 cup poppyseeds

Method:

Sift your flour into a mixing bowl with your yeast, stir to combine well.
In a jug, add warm water (tepid), honey and oil - stir until combined.

Stiring constantly, add the jug of water, honey and oil slowly until you reach a wet dough, knead by hand or in a mixer with a dough hook for 10 minutes.  If your dough is sticky, add more flour, if crumbly and dry add a little water.
You should end up with a pliable dough at the end.  if sticky, roll out onto a floured surface, if fine roll out onto a smooth surface.

Stretch out the dough and hand-knead for a further 10 minutes.

Place into an oiled bowl and sprinkle with oil atop.  massage oil over surface of all the dough, then cover bowl with cling film and leave in a warm, draught-free area to prove until it doubles in size (anywhere from 1-3 hours - mine only took 1)

When proved, preheat oven to 220degrees c.
Pour 2 litres of water and the treacle in a high-rimmed frypan. Bring to boil, reduce heat
Grease 2 baking trays and scatter with semolina.

Re-knead your dough again and punch out all the air.  roll into a sausage shape and divide into 7-8 pieces (I did 6 regular size, and 2 smaller size for the kids)

To make your bagel shape, take one of the pieces of dough, and mould it into a round disk. Pat it flat and then poke a hole with your finger in the middle. Make the hole about twice the size of what you intend it to be in the end, as it will rise/puff up in the poaching process.

Layout on your semolina tray

Heat up your water so it's at a low simmer.  Put your bagels in 2 or 3 at a time.  Poach on each side for 1 1/2 minutes each side, then return to your semolina tray.



Brush with 1 whisked egg and sprinkle with poppyseeds (1 side only) pop in the oven for about 10 minutes and then turn bagels over for another 10 minutes.


Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Cathie on February 21, 2010 at 7:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

good on you Liss! i love bagels, but i buy them, I always think of them as too much hard work to make.
mmmm, enjoy.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015