Tuesday, February 9

Walking talking disaster area...


You know when they did the crochembuche challenge on masterchef last year - Julie had literally all her fingers in bandages from burning her fingers on toffee?  I've done that - not to that extreme but let me tell you - toffee/sugar burns KILL.  They REALLY hurt.

This past weekend it's a wonder I haven't killed myself.  Honestly, I got through periods where I don't injure myself at all - and then, at every turn I'm hurting myself.  I burnt my right middle finger tip on the oven, put it right on the oven shelf! Ouch.

Then I steamburned my forearm on my vegetable steamer not one hour later.

Thank goodness I have an aloe vera plant in my kitchen.

But my most unusual injury to date was when I dropped the enormous Stephanie Alexanders' Kitchen Garden Companion, on my foot.  Man, I had tears in my eyes and I couldn't speak.  It swelled up and it's now a lovely bruise and in the rain I'm wearing teva reef sandals because my regular shoes hurt! 

Shame I can't go on workers' compo!!

So my lovely readers, make me feel human and tell me what's your most frequent, painful or unusual cooking/domestic injury!?
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on February 9, 2010 at 6:27 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

When Lacey was 2 months old I was at work emptying the dishwasher. I had six kids in my care, and a man that had just had a stroke 3 months earlier.

Lacey was lying in her bouncer screaming {which she did the first year, constantly}. I usually finished work at 5pm, but things had changed a little and I was still at work at 6:30pm.

It was my birthday and I was stressed. Beyond stressed. I was anxious that something had happened to the mother of the children I care for. I was worried about her because she was under a lot of stress, as we all were.

I was trying to quickly empty the dishwasher so that I could get home... and somehow I sliced my finger on the glass while it was still in my hands. The glass shattered everywhere, including over Lacey. Her little head was bleeding, and my finger looked like it might need stitches.

It was just impossible. I wrapped a tea towel around my finger and tried to make everything okay, for everyone.

Oh, it was the worst birthday ever. I've never been so stressed or overwhelmed. I was only looking at the scar on my walk this morning and thinking how far we've all come. xx

greenfumb on February 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am continuously black and blue from catching my arm on the door handles, next time I am definitely having round knobs.

Also on the first day back at work I twisted my ankle stepping off a chair and couldn't even go the next day - duh!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015