Saturday, February 13

How I shop to my meal plan


Well after the lovely frugalmama (Amanda) requested I could share my method I thought -yeah why not!

Might be a bit boring, but I do have a method to my madness... bwuahahaha.

First of all, I do keep a separate list with my staples, that lives on the fridge - this is stuff like flours, spices, tinned goods and general grocery items.

Then I mealplan all my dinners for the pay month.  I try to add a few new recipes in there and include at  variety of things - at least one vegetarian and one chicken or white meat, then lamb and  beef combinations for variety.  Thursdays is my busy day each week so I make sure I plan something on that night that is time savvy - be it reheating something I've cooked in bulk or a 30 minute meal.  I also make note of days where I know we will be eating out (for example this next month we have a school function and a wedding)

I put all of my mealplan in an excel spreadsheet.  The first tab is what I'm cooking.


2nd tab I then go through each meal and go through the ingredients and put them in columns depending on where I buy them.

I have a column for the butcher, the farm (produce), the supermarket and 'other' (e.g. I buy my easiyo yoghurt online - it's got heaps more flavours/range than the supermarket and very cost effective! - if you want some info on how to get $15 off your second order, let me know!)

Now, I have my  draft shopping list, I then transpose everything off my list on the fridge, have a quick look through the pantry to check I haven't missed anything and then check the bathroom and laundry lastly to add any more domestic products. 

Then that's my list!  I find I only do a top up shop of fruit once, maybe twice a month and I get my bread and milk, butter and cream delivered by farmers direct this then cuts down on any adhoc trips to the shops and vulnerability to buy things on a whim.

Print this post in friendly format

9 lovely comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes on February 13, 2010 at 10:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You don't mind if I come and live with you, do you?

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

wow, I am very impressed. Your method looks simple and effective.

this jen day on February 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

holy moly. wow. v impressed woman here. I would love to be that organised. we waste so much money on food that we don't cook, or takeaway. I really ought to get organised, but I just am so tired in the early evenings that sometimes the thought of cooking is just too too overwhelming. And herein lies the freezer meal I imagine!!

Kali on February 13, 2010 at 12:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

golly gosh...i wish i could be this organised. great job, btw!

Quixotic on February 13, 2010 at 2:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is really impressive, and pretty simple really too! I have been trying to get more organised and avoid shopping every 3-4 days like I seem to be. I have now got a few dishes I do dregularly, so maybe I should adopt this plan!!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

thanks so much for sharing luv!! i'll be trawling your recipe section for some of those dishes - they sound delish!! next time you go to farmgate could you post a photo of your fruit and veg? would love to see what you get - aren't i nosey!!! thanks for the inspiration - love reading about your stuff (godd command of the english language haha) Amanda (frugalmama) xx

Liss on February 13, 2010 at 10:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Amanda, I went farmgating today - d'oh!

My fruit and veg has only *just* been put away. I'll tell you what - I'll scan in my docket and send it to you :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on February 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm even more impressed now that I've seen your meal plan shopping list in action! :o

Leimay on August 3, 2011 at 4:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow so super super organised... I think i need to look at my excel type programs on my laptop to do one of these up for myself!
My darling Mr11 bought me a magnetic meal planner complete with shopping list and cleanable marker for Mothers day this year, only down side i can see is it has no baking space and Sunday is mums day off (although there is a little room on the side for baking and at the bottom for sunday meals.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015