Monday, February 8

Summer Harvest Vegetarian Canneloni


My hubby is a devoted carnivore, but when we started dating, I was pescatarian - this meant essentially I was vegetarian apart from fish and seafood.  I ate this way for about 5 years and only started eating red and white meat when I was pregnant with my first child, Eloise.

If it were up to hubby we would eat red meat every day of the week - oh maybe 6, and have pork the other day because the man adores a pork roast.  But me, I still love my fish and so many meat dishes is just too heavy for me, let alone it's not really all that healthy!

So last week I went scouring for a way to use up some of the tomatoes, eggplant and silverbeet (spinach) we have going crazy in our vegetable garden, and I found a great recipe on taste.com.au - I tweaked it a little, but I knew it would appeal to the kids as it had pasta and tomatoes in it - it wasn't a predominantly spinach dish, so hubby would be happy and it was veggo, which makes me happy!

It was yummy.  In fact I think this one will be made again, and soon - good to freeze this one and will be a great way to use the produce I have in the garden when I need to make room for my autumn crops.

You can also use non/low fat options in this recipe to make it easy on the waistline too!  As all the veges are in season at present, it's affordable too - so put it on your mealplan for this week!

Serves 6

Ingredients:
3 cups pasta sauce (I used homemade from tomatoes,  carrots, red wine, onion, garlic, basil and oregano and a little tomato paste)
1 large eggplant, sliced
2 leeks, finely sliced
1 bunch silverbeet - stalks cut off and then cut into ribbons
1 large or 2 small clove/s garlic, finely diced or minced
2/3 cup evaporated milk
250g tub ricotta cheese
Fresh pasta sheets (Lasagne) or make your own fresh pasta (I used 2 cups Tipo 00 flour, 2 eggs, 2 tb olive oil and 2 tb warm water)
1/2 cup tasty or mozzarella cheese

Method:
Place eggplant on a baking tray sprayed with canola oil, and bake at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes, until it softens, take out of oven and set aside.

Place 2 tb of olive oil in a frying pan and add the garlic and leeks, fry until leeks become transparent and then add the spinach, if you have a lid for your frypan, put it on and turn the heat down until it wilts. If not, stir until wilts.  Turn heat off and set aside.


Place 1/2 of your pasta sauce in a medium sized baking tray.

Lay out a pasta sheet, or make your pasta into 10-15cm x 10cm lengths.  Cut your eggplant into long strips (I sliced mine in thirds) and lay out on the pasta sheet.  Top with about 3 tb of the leek/spinach mixture and then top again with more eggplant.


Dip a finger into some water and wet the edge of the pasta sheet furthest away from you, roll up the pasta sheet until it's a roll - the water at the end should glue it together.  Place the rolls into the baking tray in the pasta sauce. Continue until you run out of eggplant/spinach/pasta sheets.



Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

Pour over the rest of the pasta sauce.

Mix the evaporated milk and ricotta cheese in a bowl, season with pepper.  Then pour over the canneloni and pasta sauce.

Sprinkle with tasty cheese and then place into the oven for 40-50 minutes until browned on top.  Serve immediately of refrigerate/freeze for later!


Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Rose on February 8, 2010 at 10:24 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Yummo!! you are making my mouth water. Thanks you for sharing this. Off to see whats in my vege bucket and off to get the missing items, am going to try this one out tonight :)

Jaime on February 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

you just solved my what to have for dinner dilemma! thanks Liss!

nellbe on February 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks scrummy Liss... and I shall make this one day. Too hot for tonight though!

Nate @ House of Annie on February 10, 2010 at 2:41 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh, delicious way to use up the eggplant! Me likes.

Since you are using homegrown ingredients, would you like to enter this post in our Grow Your Own roundup this month? Full Details at

http://chezannies.blogspot.com/2010/02/announcing-grow-your-own-39.html


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015