Friday, February 5

I can't believe it's this easy to make dog biscuits!



WHY have I been wasting money at the pet shop and supermarket?  Why I ask?  Because I had no idea it would be so easy!

We had a great time this morning making these together and from whoah to go (first ingredient in the bowl until everything out of the oven) 40 minutes!  I'm sure I could improve on this, and I think next time I'll make a few variations/make bigger batches and freeze.

I give our Dougall a doggy treat each time we leave the house.  Let's call it mother-guilt OK?  These are so cheap I'm so impressed, turned out beautifully and seriously, the dog was waiting under the oven whilst they cooked.   I'm going to put my Mum onto these for her 'boys'.


Ingredients
2 cups wholemeal flour
2 tb canola oil
2/3 cup semolina (or cornmeal)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1tb powdered beef stock
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Flour extra, canola spray


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c
Mix all ingredients into mixing bowl - I let the girls do this, they take turns




Mix with a spoon until reaches a dough, add flour/semolina if needed to make into a pliable dough.


Roll out on a floured surface and cut into shapes with a knife or cookie cutter (I got this doggie one for $3.95 from Alfresco Emporium)







Place on baking trays sprayed with canola oil, when laid out, spray canola oil on top also



Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes - cool on bench/wire rack.
Store in airtight container for 1 week or in the freezer for 2 months
Makes 20 large bones, or I'd think 40 small ones
Dougall salivating by the oven!!


Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Di on February 5, 2010 at 12:35 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Bartholomew and Clio thank you :D

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on February 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These are such a great idea. They'd make great gifts too. We have a cute little doggy friend turning 2 soon, I might have to make up a batch! x

(Juz)Shell said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Excellent idea. I think I might have to make my Parry and Charlie some.

Jaime on February 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Lucky Dougall! the thing is dog's will eat just about anything, well my dog will.
Going to let the kids attack this recipe this afternoon and if it stuffs up - Ellie will still appreciate it!
thanks Liss.

Melanie Hardy on February 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is such a great idea because if the kids crack into them you don't have to worry. :)

Will try this out on my two pugs, Billy and Sasha. Thanks Liss. X Melanie

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on February 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great idea Liss! And aww they're bone shaped too! Good ont he girls for helping you and I'm sure Dougall is happy that you made them as he looks on eagerly :P


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015