Tuesday, March 22

A warm snuggly hug with soup: Spiced potato and cream cheese soup


I'm in a soup frenzy at the moment.  I can only seem to think about soup.  I'm sure this has something to do with the bucket and buckets (and buckets!) of rain that's fallen over the past two days.  I myself was drenched to the core twice on Saturday night after leaving my umbrella in retromummy's (hire) car.  You have no idea how I was cursing my own stupidity.

So this soup came about from a recipe I found from food.com - however it was just with white pepper and to me, it seemed a bit bland.  So I used some of my balti paste and I wanted something smooth, not chunky. You can use your favourite curry paste - I only used a little and whilst it was tasty, it didn't overpower the taste of the soup it gave a little kick - the kids didn't even notice.  At all.  In fact Eloise had seconds.

I served it with my super quick Turkish bread.


Ingredients:
4 litres chicken stock (I used stock powder and water)
2 kg new potatoes peeled and diced
1 small onion, peeled and diced
2 tsp balti paste
250g cream cheese

Method:
Place chicken stock, potatoes and onions in a large pot.  Bring to the boil for about 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft.

Add the curry paste and cream cheese and turn down to a simmer for about 10 minutes.

Turn off the hob and using a stick blender process until smooth.  Place the hob back on low and simmer for 1 hour.

Add some cracked pepper and serve with bread, the soup will be thick and luscious!

Who loves soup?  What do you like to eat with your soup?  A particular type of bread or croutons...something else?
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Diminishing Lucy on March 22, 2011 at 7:40 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

English watercress soup. Which I need to experiment with. I have a shed load of rocket inthe garden which I think may be the replacement green.

I am not a crouton fan. But any forcacia studded with rosemary, and I am there....

greenfumb on March 22, 2011 at 8:33 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum and very timely, I made chicken stock yesterday and I have lots of potatoes that need using up before they need to be planted not eaten.

Isn't the weather vile- my house smells like a mushroom farm.

A Farmer's Wife on March 22, 2011 at 10:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It looks fantastic. I love pretty much any type of soup and can't wait for the weather to cool down enough to start making some.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015