Friday, March 4

Cheaty and Frugal: Quick chocolate mud cake



Now we all love to cheat every now and then and I'm not usually a fan of a cake mix - but they have their place don't they?  I've been wanting to try this for ages as the Americans are quite fond of putting pudding mix in their cakes and I thought I'd like to give it a whirl in more fudgey proportions.

The first one I made last week was of the vanilla variety and I put it in a bundt pan.  Three mistakes made there.  Bundt pans really can't be lined and with the fudgey-gooey-ness of this cake it stuck.  Secondly I knew it would be better as chocolate...  and thirdly it actually needed more fudgey-ness.

It's not super sweet and it is pudding-y - I think it's perfect.  I love it!


I feel like a bit of a fraud calling this a 'recipe' but anyways...

Ingredients:
1 x box white wings moist chocolate cake mix
2 x cottees instant pudding packets
3 cups milk (I used lite, use what you have!)
2 eggs

Method
Preheat oven to 160 degrees c regular oven or 140 fan forced

Mix all ingredients until well combined.
Grease and line a round cake tin (or springform pan)

Pour the puddingy goodness into the tin and smooth out the top

Bake for 1 hour - until cooked through.  Test with a skewer to check ..

Turn upside on a plate/platter to cool (Or eat it warm, yum!)

You may choose to cover in melted chocolate - I adore this and will definitely make again!  So easy!


Print this post in friendly format

8 lovely comments:

katie clews said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

wow, this looks awesome and right up my alley - quick, no fuss and of course it's Chocolate!! Shared it on my FB wall and going to have a crack at it this weekend.. thank you!

Unknown on March 5, 2011 at 6:27 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh great googly moogly....

Must bake this...

May not share it either!!

Thanks!

M

Katie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sorry, normally love your recipes Liss but it just wasn't to my taste. I can see what you were going for though, texture was nice but the flavour was too "packaged" for me. I might try this a different but still easy way and let you know. Sorry, hoping to be constructive.:-)

Liss on March 5, 2011 at 4:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@KatieThat's OK Katie! Thank you for your honesty (and constructive too!)! I understand what you mean though ;) If you felt brave enough to do it again - add some melted lindt 80%.

OR Swing by tomorrow for Sunday baking project - there is definitely something for you there ;) xx

Standardrose on March 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sorry, thumbs down from me too..

Liss on March 14, 2011 at 9:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Standardrose No worries Standardrose - it's not for everyone - I do love a REAL cake myself... some people love to cheat though x

Julie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love it, I will definetly make it soon! I, like you, love making things from scratch but this looks like one of those recipes you could quickly whip up when you have short notice for a visit from friends.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks amazing but was wondering if I could switch the milk for beer? Thanks


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015