Friday, March 18

Fast food on a Friday: Chicken Pad Thai


This is my hubby's favourite Thai dish and his stalwart when ever we eat Thai at a restaurant, food court or takeaway.  But up until this week I'd never made it.  Some wife huh?  Anyways I gave it a go after checking some online sites.. thing is the recipes vary so much!  I wasn't really sure I was making THE Pad Thai my hubby loves.

His feedback is it wasn't sweet enough - and that makes sense because I didn't add all the sugar from the recipe I used.  Next time I will.  So here it is in all it's step-by-step glory... which I will be eternally grateful for because going off the original recipe I found it a bit hard to stay ahead of the instructions!


Ingredients:
600g chicken thigh fillets
1 packet Pad Thai noodles (I found mine in the Asian section of Coles)
2 tb cornflour
2 tb soy sauce
3/4 tsp tamarind sauce
3 tb brown sugar
2 tb fish sauce
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small chili, sliced (optional)
1/2 tsp white pepper
250g packet (3 cups) bean sprouts
3 spring onions, sliced
1 sprig coriander, roughly chopped
wedges of lime (one per serve)
1/3 cup peanuts, roughly chopped


Method:
Set a large pot of water on the stove to boil.

Cut your chicken into 1cm strips

Mix the cornflour and soy sauce together and then pour over the chicken and set aside

Mix up the pad thai sauce:  Tamarind paste, brown sugar and fish sauce, set aside.

Your water should be boiling now, take it off the heat, turn it off and then add your noodles to soak.


Then chop up the other ingredients to be at the ready:  garlic, chili, coriander, spring onions and peanuts.

Heat up your wok or deep based frypan and add some canola/vegetable oil until it sizzles.  Add the garlic and the chili if you're using it.

Let it sizzle there for about 30 seconds and then add your chicken....

Swoosh it around until it's cooked - about 5 minutes.  By this time your noodles should be ready - they should be aldente (not squishy soft, soft but holding together).  Drain the noodles well.

Add the noodles to the pan, and pour over the pad thai sauce, mix well.

Swoosh around for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce starts absorbing into the noodles.  Add the white pepper and the bean sprouts and swoosh around for another 2-3 minutes. (I like this word swoosh obviously..?)

Plate up and sprinkle with spring onion, coriander and peanuts.  Serve with your wedge of lime..


So... what are you up to this weekend?  I'm speaking at the Aussie Bloggers Conference tomorrow... say hi if you're coming along!




Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Becky on March 18, 2011 at 11:38 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I will be giving this a go next week & can't wait. Thanks for the recipe!

nellistc on March 18, 2011 at 4:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love pad thai too! I love to add those very naughty deep fried tofu puffs (its tofu...so it can't be that bad right?), and they soak up the saucy yumminess. I usually use half the packet for a pad thai and then make a red thai curry and though the rest of the tofu in the curry. So then husband and I are eating thai for days!

honeybrollin on March 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Liss!
I am sitting here at the PC with my stretchy pants on after finishing 2 full bowls of Pad Thai!!
It was sooo freaking yummy!
Definitely a new fave for our household!
Thanks for the recipe. xx

ZippyZippy on March 20, 2011 at 12:34 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sounds very yummy, will definately be giving this one a go - thanks for sharing :)

emmaO on March 21, 2011 at 10:05 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh man that looks good - I have made Pad Thai a few times but have always used a bought paste and it never tastes "real". I'm going to give yours a go this week, it looks so yummy!

Becky on April 15, 2011 at 7:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Forgot to let you know that I made this (left out the peanuts due to little man being allergic) and wow, we all loved it! The lime certainly makes the meal. Thanks again

Tony Payne on August 30, 2011 at 2:05 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sounds like this ought to hit the spot. I'm drooling.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015