Wednesday, March 2

Spicy tagine meatballs



I made this up on the fly yesterday when I had a sudden hankering to use my tagine.  I love it and don't use it as often as I'd like.  I really should use it more - it doesn't have to be just a curry.    

I have used beef mince but you could also use lamb I think, and I think it would also be nice to mix say 1/2 cup ricotta cheese into the meatballs and I think the sauce would be nice with some capsicums too.  It doesn't 'need' these ingredients and it was delicious on its own but if you're a tweaker like me, that's what I'd recommend.  I'm definitely doing the ricotta next time, the capsicum, probably not, as hubby is allergic.

Make it without chili or reduce the amount if you're not a fan too!

This doesn't take a lot of time and it tastes like you've put a lot of love into it but really, it's easy-peasy.   The aroma that fills the house is heavenly - it builds the anticipation you're about to eat something amazing.

Ingredients:
Meatballs
750g beef mince
1/2 large brown onion
small bunch (say 3 sprigs) of continental parsley
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3 cloves garlic, crushed

Sauce
1/2 large brown onion, finely chopped or processed
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 red chili, seeds removed, chopped finely
400g tin of diced tomatoes
2 tb tomato paste

To serve
sprig mint
1/4 cup greek yoghurt


Method:
In a small food or with a mortar and pestle process/pound into a paste the onion, parsley, garlic, paprika and cumin.

The mix it through your beef mince.
Roll your mince into 5cm diameter meatballs and set aside.

Heat your tagine base on your stove and add 1 tb oil.  Let it heat up and then add the onion, paprika, cumin and chili. Stir well and allow the spices to develop for about 1 minute.

Add the tomatoes, heat through.

Fill your tin with water and add the tomato paste to it and stir well, pour over the meatballs and tomatoes - no need to stir/mix. 

Turn down the heat to a simmer and put the lid on your tagine.  Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes (whilst you cook some rice or prepare some cous cous)

Take the lid off, the pan should be saucy, with meatballs intact.


Drizzle over the yoghurt and chop up the mint into smaller pieces - serve on rice.

So fess up!  Do you like to tweak a recipe?

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Not Quite Nigella on March 2, 2011 at 5:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

hehe this is just my issue! I love my tagine but rarely use it. Thankyou for this recipe! :D

Seana Smith on March 2, 2011 at 6:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks great. Love the new look and love, love, triple love the print-friendly version.

sammy on March 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks fantastic ... will be making it on the weekend ... my sister put me onto your blog ... can't wait to go through it all.

Being Me on July 4, 2011 at 3:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You could almost convince a girl to start eating red meat again, Liss!

Wonder if chicken mince would work? Do you see any reason why not? (apart from taste preference....)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015