Thursday, March 24

10 things to do with your snags, besides chucking them in a pan or BBQ


There can come a time when every budget-savvy shopper looks at sausages at rolls their eyes.  Mainly because they either can't bear to eat them again or have their family living on them.  My butcher makes fabulous sausages at an excellent price so I'm always looking for ways to get those sausages on my plate without tomato sauce...

The Kaotic kitchen book has some great ideas (the casoulet recipe below is from that) but maybe, just maybe these might inspire you to do something different should you find yourself on a sausage diet - even if only for a few nights...

When I lived in the UK I loved Lincolnshire sausages and became a true convert to pork sausages.  I actually prefer a pork sausage over a beef one any day.
Personally if I had to choose a favourite it would be the slowcooker eggplant and sausage casserole, it doesn't look pretty but oh my it tastes amazing and is fabulous (and healthy) served on brown rice.  The eggplant takes on the texture of a thick tasty sauce.  It's really easy peasy.

So my friends, any you want to try?  Have you got your own favourite sausage dish and what kind of sausages do you buy/love?

{Psst if you are using a reader or similar you may not be able to see the 10 linked images to the recipes, be sure to visit the original post}






Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Super Sarah on March 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I confess to being quite offended by Aussie sausages when I first arrived from the UK. I was used to being able to buy delicious, gluten free, preservative free, sawdust free traditional pork bangers at my local supermarket so when I tried what was on offer at supermarkets here in the way of pork sausages.... ugh. I made friends with my local butcher and had a lovely supply of delicious bangers but somehow they still don't taste the same. I too will pass up a beef sausage every time in favour of a good pork snag!

Deidre on March 24, 2011 at 1:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Well, as a vegetarian I have no idea what I'd prefer.

But the eggplant dish sounds quite lovely!

I totally feel you on being bored with what you cook all the time with same ole ingredients. It can be so hard to change it up!

Liss on March 24, 2011 at 1:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@DeidreHi Deidre!

I have made the eggplant casserole vegetarian by using the sanitarium brand country style vegetarian sausages! (I do love those!) Just another option !

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

i think it's hilarious that one of your reader's mentions being offended by aussie sausages! i had the exact same experience in the UK with sausages over there... i thought they were terrible...

perhaps it is where you buy your sausages from that has something to do with it? i wouldn't go near most supermarket sausages in australia, our butcher sausages are so much better (and i'm fussy about the butcher too)- so perhaps it's the same in the UK? you need to chose where you buy them from?

amy

ginchyworld on March 26, 2011 at 1:14 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Lincolnshire are our favourites of the pork sausages too. Cumberland are far too peppery for me.

I am now firmly convinced that if you can't barbeque the snags, then oven cooking produces a tastier final product than pan cooking. 200C for 30ish minutes.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015