Friday, March 25

Family Recipe: Katie's biscuits


I feel like I don't have 1 bazillionth the family recipes I should have.  I come from a long line of bakers and cooks, butchers and farm-wives.  My heritage is Irish settlers who were part of the Monaro Pioneers and established the Snowy Mountains Scheme.   My Nan was born and raised in Cooma, my grandfather born in Sydney after his parents moved there with his father's job.

This recipe comes from my great, great Aunty Kate.  Just how is she my great aunty?  It's kind of a hoot to explain: When my grandparents met at dance in Balmain in late 1940's they had no idea they were already related.  By marriage that is. (Phew I hear you all exhale!) Aunty Kate was both my grandparents aunty..!

It turned out my Grandfather's Aunt had married my Grandmother's Uncle.  They had never met until that point though could have potentially many times before.  My Nanny used to go with her Mother to Aunty Kate's house as a child on a regular basis, my great grandmother and Aunty Kate were sisters in law, married to two brothers (a butcher and baker no less).  Both loved to bake and would spend an afternoon a week baking together for their families.  Katie's biscuits was one of these recipes.

The recipe my Nan sent me on(On email no less, how times of changed) makes 6 dozen biscuits, so I divided it in half...  
My eyes nearly bugged out of my head when I looked at the amount of butter and sugar but then when you divide in half - it doesn't seem that bad.

They are quite a nice biscuit actually, but I make and eat them knowing they are part of my history.  That's a lovely feeling.


Katie's biscuits:
1 heaped cup plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
125g butter, melted
1/2 cup dried fruit/nuts whatever takes your fancy (I used some finely chopped dried apple and some sultanas)


Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

Mix all ingredients together


Drop heaped teaspoons onto baking trays (no need to grease)

Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly brown on top. 

Does your family have family recipes? Are they shared freely?
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Carly Findlay on March 25, 2011 at 2:25 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I loved hearing you speak at AusBlogCon. It made me want to check out your blog :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I just finished baking these. Liss they're delicious! Thank you

Diminishing Lucy on March 25, 2011 at 9:25 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You know I do! I have a squillion. All that are written down are shared. There are one or two "secret" ones though, that I am keeping to myself...

The tale of your family is hilarious.

Remind me to tell you why I am on my family tree twice....

xx

Unknown on March 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh yummo!!!!

Being Me on March 29, 2011 at 5:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love the story as much as I like the look of that recipe! I'll have to call them Great Aunty Kate's biscuits if you don't mind ;)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015