Monday, August 29

What Australian Bloggers think: Social media, what do you have and how important that a blogger embrace it?



Us bloggers have these thoughts and sometimes we'll even externalise them into a blog post, a forum post or (even!) a 'real life' discussion.  I decided to bring together a group of bloggers of different genres and experience together to understand what Australian Bloggers think as a community, of themselves and of others, their relationships with brands, PR's, blogger platforms and few other things... stay tuned each fortnight..!

Today we're discussing social media - Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, StumbleUpon - the list goes on and on and on... there are lots of ways to share not only your thoughts, questions and opinions, but many bloggers use social media to extend the dialogue of their blog, attract new readers and network with other bloggers and brands.


Today a dozen bloggers tell me on a scale of 1-10 how important social media is to their blog (1 being least, and 10 being most) and why:




What? I use twitter, facebook and pinterest as MahliMoo. My blog isn’t that main reason for using them though. I enough the social  ‘contact’ it allows me to have.
Importance Scale? I would probably rate it a 7. I have found a lot of people through twitter, but I would still be blogging regardless. I blog for myself, but it would get mighty boring if no one commented.
Amy, MahliMoo  [craft, parenting] [6 months blogging]

What? Currently YouTube. I have a twitter and Facebook account ready to go but don’t promote them because I’d rather not till I know I will actually use them.
Importance Scale? Probably 8, which seems strange since I am not currently using them. I do think if I am REALLY to take my blog to the next level it needs to happen, and soon. It just hasn’t yet. Probably the number 1 thing holding me back.
James - Aussie Green Thumb  [gardening] [9 months blogging]



What? Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Linkedin
Importance Scale? 10!
Nikki, Styling You [Fashion, beauty] [3 years blogging]






What?Twitter and a Facebook page 
Importance Scale?  8.  I blog to create community – to form a network of others interested in play and early childhood education, and social networking is an important tool to create connections.
Jenny, Let the Children Play [Education] [21 months blogging]

What: I have twitter, facebook and tumblr attached to my blog, with youtube coming up in the next few months.
Importance Scale? I rate social media's necessity to blogging at 15. It is vital that you keep in touch with people via the channels they use the most.
Stacey, Veggie Mama [food, parenting] [18 months blogging]


What? Twitter, facebook, rss feed, bloglovin - I also embed youtube clips into my blog occasionally                                    
Importance Scale?10 times a million!!!!!
Caitlin - Chasing Cait [Fashion, Beauty] [9 months blogging] 


What? I have twitter, facebook, must add my youtube channel.  I only have it advertised on my 'contact me' page, need to add buttons on the side bar.
Importance scale:   5 - not really sure yet.  At the moment, it's helping me to build relationships with other bloggers, that's about it.
Mandy, A little space like home [personal, parenting] [6 months blogging]



What? Just Twitter.
Importance Scale: I would say that as a new blogger it's very important.  So a 9.  It's how you build up your followers and get your posts out there.

Amelia, Wedding, babies Everything [family] [9 months blogging]


What: @frank_in_oz - Twitter here for Hiking site BUT I loveTwitter and play there a bit with all sorts of stuff. Facebook - Frank wall - mix up person and OHB stuff -YouTube (slow on this ) - ourhikingblog. @CradleMtn - specific for Cradle and Tassie
Importance Scale: OHB - 5-6 have a few subscribers and get most of traffic off Google search. Cradle - Huge, 10 -  thats how I launched it and promote everthing around it!

Frank - Our Hiking Blog,[outdoors/hiking] and Cradle Mountain [tourism] [8 years blogging]                                                                                                           


What? facebook, twitter, youtube
Importance Scale? I'd say about a 6 for me because I use facebook for my community and to chat but it's not essential to my blog! My blog came first and is where I spend most of my time but I see social media as a tool. I'm trying to get better at twitter but in all honestly - 4 kids, husband always working, household to run, blog posts to write, photos to take, emails to answer, craft, cooking....it doesn't leave a lot of time for spending on facebook and twitter!
Corrie - Retro Mummy [craft, family] [5 years blogging]


What? Facebook and Twitter
Importance Scale:   In terms of building my readership, I'd have to rate social media right up there as a 10.  Twitter and Facebook are fantastic ways to help promote blog posts and interact with my readers.  They're both great outlets for sharing other people's blogs too - I think that it's important to help promote other blogs that inspire or have something useful in their posts that you think your own readers would enjoy.
 Melissa, One Crafty Mumma  [craft,family] [5 years blogging] 


What: Primarily Facebook and Twitter although I dabble on Stumble Upon, Flickr and will be using YouTube more in the future for vlogging.
Importance Scale? In the beginning it would have been a 10. Now that I have an established readership it is no longer essential to survival but is still essential to the growth of my blog. I'd still give social media a 7.
Zoey, Good Goog [personal, parenting] [2 years blogging]



How do you rank social media in your blogging life  or even your non-blogging life?

If you are interested in taking part in this series as a blogger in either the technology, travel or sports arenas or a PR please don't hesitate to email me!
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Veggie Mama on August 29, 2011 at 10:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Go social media! I'm all about Pinterest and Instagram too these days.

Becci on August 30, 2011 at 10:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Quite addicted to Twitter for mostly reading others' updates and links to blogs and stories. When I do an update on my blog the only way I can get it out there is via Twitter. Facebook is on the wane though. Like Pinterest but not really relevant, just a nice distraction at the moment.

Amy on August 30, 2011 at 7:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am enjoying reading this series Liss!

It is great to read everyone else's opinions. And it is great reading over what I wrote about these topics... It's a pity I can't spell or construct sentences though, haha.

Maybe next time I wont rush my answers!

Thanks so much for putting this together.

Kylie G on September 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG the fact that everyone listed twitter freaks me out! I still can't get it, I don't know how to keep up with it all.
I need an Aussie Bloggers guide to twitter!
Thanks for this series, it's really interesting.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015