Monday, August 15

Lunchbox Legends: High-top apple cinnamon muffins


My poor frills.  A whole week of no lunchbox baking.  Of course this is no real hardship but to them, it is.  I think I've spoiled them a bit too much....  a busy week co-incided with no lunchbox freezer stash... oh well.  I knocked these up yesterday morning - pretty simple, high-yield recipe, sweet but not sinister..

The secret to high-top muffins is all in the baking powder.  Use the apples and pears you may have in the fruit bowl that might have a few brown spots... if your kids are anything like mine they won't touch them so cook with them instead!

Have a great week everyone! xx

Ingredients:
2 cups plain flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
85g butter, melted
1 cup peeled and sliced apples

Topping:
1 tb brown sugar
1 tb caster sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

In a mixing bowl add flour, baking powder, caster sugar and cinnamon.

Add your wet ingredients butter, buttermilk and egg, mix well.

Now don't worry if it's a bit stiff.  it's meant to be.

Stir through your apple

Place into cupcake papers, fill almost to the top

Mix together the topping ingredients - try not to eat them before you sprinkling on top of the muffins

Cover the muffins with the mixture before putting in the oven for 15 minutes

They are lovely warm but still nice cold - freeze in ziplock bags for up to 2 months!


Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Rosie on August 15, 2011 at 6:49 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Perfect! I was just packing lunches and noticed some of the little apples had a bruise on them and thought "I need to make apple muffins"

Stellar timing.

Cascade Lily on August 15, 2011 at 7:25 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm interested in how long the slices are. I think I've always diced my apple - might change it up next time! Also, where do you buy those cute papers from?
Thanks Liss!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi, these sound yummy and i was just going to whip some up (while my twins are asleep :-)) but i have no buttermilk. What can i substitute?
Cheers
Sonia

Liss on August 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Lily - I bought the papers at Domayne. I'll check the brand when I get home for you - they may be Robert Gordon - not sure. Anonymous - you can substitute the buttermilk with a cup or so of regular milk or DIY cheats buttermilk by adding a few drops of white vinegar into a bowl and adding regular milk and allowing it to sit for about 5 minutes before pouring into your mixture.

Christie on August 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look so delicious Liss. I hope all is well in your world this week xx

Unknown on May 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have been baking these at lest once a week for almost 2 months now at work (a coffee shop) and everyone can't seem to get enough of them. I double and triple the batch and now thinking I may need to do 4! they sell in a flash and people are talking about them! so I just want to say thank you for such an amazing recipe!!! I follow it to a T with the tiny change using a Buttermilk substitute - 1 tbsp vinegar To 1 cup milk. I will be baking this recipe for life! Thank - you!!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015