Saturday, August 13

Sunday baking project - totally cheating portuguese tarts


Hello everyone!

Ahh it does feel good to write again, cook again, even edit photos again.  Anything that resembles some part of my 'normality' is a good thing right now.  I actually even was relieved to be at work on Thursday although I admit, my heart was back at the hospital with Nan.

Nan is improving, I can see hope but there is a long road ahead of us. It's going to take a lot of work and and a lot of love and support to get her to recovery.  We are all committed to this.  It's so hard to see someone who you consider your rock to be so helpless and vulnerable.

I was actually half way through making these when I got the news last Sunday.  So the good news is that you can pre-prepare these - make the custard first and then assemble and bake when you're ready to serve.

I worked out it cost me $7 for 18 Portuguese tarts - a lot different from the $2.50 - $3.50 each you pay at the shops right?  You do need to eat these within a couple of days though - so make some for friends and family at the same time - I shared mine around the hospital!


Adapted from Olive Magazine
Ingredients:
1 cup raw caster sugar
1 slice lemon
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup light milk
1 tb plain flour
1 tb cornflour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 egg yolks + 1 egg
4 sheets frozen puff pastry


Method:
Preheat oven to 220 degrees c.

In a small saucepan add sugar, lemon and cinnamon to 1/2 cup water.  Bring to the boil and then take off the heat, remove the cinnamon stick and lemon slice and set aside.

Mix the flours with a splash of your milk to make a paste.  Gradually add the rest of your milk until combined.  Place this in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat.

Whisk until it thickens... it takes only a minute or so.

Gradually pour in your sugar syrup and whisk it gently in, still over a low heat.
 Then add your eggs and continue to whisk over low heat until it slightly stiffens/gets thicker.  It will be the consistency of honey.  Set aside.
 Thaw out your sheets of puff pastry and then upturn one on top of the other with the plastic backing facing up.   Remove so you have a double layer of puff.

Cut them out with a glass or cutter, and place into greased muffin tray.
 Pour in your custard mixture until almost full.
 Bake for 15 or so minutes until slightly browned.
 They are gorgeous warm or cool with some icing sugar sprinkled over the top.


Try them!  Just the thing to do this weekend - you'll love them!
Print this post in friendly format

13 lovely comments:

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on August 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

hingvI 've a,ways wanted to make these...now I can try!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on August 14, 2011 at 12:17 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That was word verification ...really only 2 glasses of wine didn't make me say hingv

celia on August 14, 2011 at 8:23 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmm yum! Haven't made these in years! My recipe is slightly different. Maybe I will try yours :D

FoodMuster on August 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow! Liss, these look so good and anything custard is my fav!!

Anne said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look lovely and I am planning to make them (as I have many of your yummy recipes) - I was wondering though (silly question I'm sure) whether raw caster sugar is different to regular caster sugar? Is it brown? Can I use regular do you think? Hope your Nan improves quickly. Thanks, Anne

Liss on August 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@AnneHiAnne, yes it is different - it's a bit brown. You delivers a lovely caramel-lie taste - but if you didn't want to go out - try some caster sugar and raw sugar (3:1) combined.

Kerry on August 14, 2011 at 12:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss, I found your blog last night while Googling for chicken drumstick recipes. I came across your "Budget buster: chicken drumstick and vege casserole" and it suited my needs perfectly. Even though I didn't have celery or mushrooms because I'm trying to use up all fresh food before shopping again, I added what veg I did have instead. I love your Blog, I love your uncomplicated recipes, and I love, love, love your step-by-step photos. Thanks for putting in the effort to share your passion with me. You have inspired me to bake more and try new recipes. Today I am baking your Gluten Free Lemon Glaze cake with a surprise ingredient. Wish me luck!

Leimay on August 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oooh i did wonder what the tarts where when i read your post last week. I spoke to my grandmother who had a stroke a little over 2 years ago and she is very keen for me to make some and share with her. Thank you for sharing with us, i hope your Nan makes great strides in her recovery, even if they seem small to everyone else.

Suse on August 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

these looks fantastic! Thanks for the clarification on raw caster sugar, have never seen it!

with the 3 egg yolks + 1 egg yolk..... is that meant to be 1 whole egg, or have I missed reading a step somewhere?

Liss on August 14, 2011 at 4:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Kerry Kerry that is such a lovely comment - thank you! I'm sure your lemon glaze cake will turn out wonderfully, I'm sure xxx

Liss on August 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Suse 3 egg yolks + 1 whole egg :)

Hookturns on August 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I gather that's 3 eggs + 1 egg yolk?

Liss on August 14, 2011 at 6:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Hookturns no hon, it's 3 egg yolks + 1 whole egg (i.e. 4 egg yolks and white from 1 egg)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015