Sunday, August 7

Sunday baking project - Gluten free lemon glaze cake with a surprise ingredient


 
What a glorious weekend this has been so far - I just can't believe that it's still winter?  Here in Sydney it's more like spring at the moment - lovely sunny days in the low to mid 20's... I'm told it's all about to change next week but for now... I'm loving it.

I spent yesterday with my frills and hubby - it made the craziness of the past week at work almost disappear.  The formula of home+hubby+frills+baking =happy Liss.  Cooking with the frills is an added bonus - Eloise wanted to help me - and we upgraded her cooking rank from 'helper' to 'sous-chef'.  She's really coming along with things, I even let her turn on the KitchenAid now!

I found this recipe on the BBC Good Food website - I was intrigued that it had mashed potato in it!  Whilst making it I realised - this isn't the first gluten free baking project I've undertaken with mash - the gluten free chocolate brownies I made last year had mashed pumpkin in them.  It can't even tell in the end result - but the role of the potato is to bind the rest of the ingredients, something flour would normally do.

Ingredients:
Cake
200g butter, at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
4 eggs
zest of 3 lemons
1 tsp baking powder (gluten free type if you need it to be!)
1 cup mashed potato
175gr almond meal

Glaze
3 tb caster sugar
Juice of 1 large lemon


Method:
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees c.

Line and grease cake tin of your choice.  I taught Eloise how to do it this time... this is now going to be her job (whoohoo says Mummy!)

Draw around the tin.

Freehand about 1cm around the line you traced.

Cut fringes to the inner line so it fits in neatly.


Onto the cake!  Cream butter and caster sugar together until it becomes light and fluffy.

Add eggs (Eloise cracks eggs beautifully now!) and mix.  Then add the almond meal, baking powder and mashed potato.  Mix again.

Add lemon zest and mix once more.

This is good enough to eat.... but try to resist until it's cooked OK?

Unlike Miss E who got the spatula...

Pour into your lined tin, smooth out the top.

Bake for 1 hour.

Make your glaze by popping the lemon juice and sugar in a ramekin or microwave proof bowl.  Microwave for 45 seconds on high... then stir and pour or brush onto your cake.

Sprinkle over some more lemon zest, but it's not essential.  It's absolutely gorgeous warm but still lovely when cold... it won't last long.

In the immortal words of my hubby 'Liss, this is the worst cake you've ever made, and I'm going to have to have another slice to absolutely make sure'.  Thanks hun.
Look how beautiful and moist it is!  


Are you baking today?
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Nikki @ Styling You on August 7, 2011 at 7:47 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I tell you Liss, as a GF girl, that had me salivating x

Carly Webber on August 7, 2011 at 10:50 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We're just getting into Gluten Free foods and I've felt very limited, this is a great help and just knowing about the potato has got me thinking of lots more possibilities. Thank you x


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015