Wednesday, August 17

How to make your own green curry paste and then green chicken curry!



I have been looking for a good green curry paste for what seems like an eternity.  I like to make my own curry pastes where I can so when lovely reader Kerrie said she'd made Jamie Oliver's I knew I had to have the recipe - she was kind enough to send it along to me, and then I realised whilst making it, I probably had it all the time - it's in the Ministry of Food Cookbook (or named also Jamie's food revolution).

It's super easy but you are making it in bulk.  What I did like I do with my homemade pesto is store it in small ziplock bags in the freezer.   This is much more economical than pastes and sachets. The taste is so fresh also, it makes a really big difference to the taste.


First of all, let's make the paste:
2 stalks fresh lemongrass
4 spring onions
3 green chillies
4 cloves garlic
thumb size piece of root ginger, grated
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 bunch of fresh coriander
2 tb soy sauce
1 tb fish sauce
8 kaffir lime leaves (fresh or dried)


Method:
Trim the stalks and the outers from the lemon grass and spring onions, add those with the garlic, ginger, kaffir lime leaves and chillies and into a food processor (or if you didn't have one, try chopping them up super super fine!)



Then crush your coriander seeds, and add those with the coriander, soy and fish sauces and give it another process.

Store in ziplock bags and put into the freezer for up to 3 months.

Now, let's make our curry - mine isn't exactly Jamie's - I used thighs instead of breasts and he does asparagus OR baby corn but I like both, I also doubled the coconut milk because I like it a bit saucy.

You'll need:
Ingredients:
1/3 volume of your curry paste (or 3 tb)
1 bunch asparagus, tailed and sliced into thin strips
1 small tin of baby corn
1/2 fresh red chilli (If you like a bit of bite, add a full one, I did!)
500g chicken thighs
400ml tin coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime (optional)


Method:
Take the tails and rind from your snow peas.  my frills love doing this!

Have your snowpeas, corn and asparagus at the ready....

Slice your chicken into strips

Heat some oil in a wok or large frypan.  Add your curry paste, chilli and your chicken, cook for a few minutes until chicken has been browned all over.

Add your asparagus and corn

And then your coconut milk, simmer for about 5 minutes - serve with rice

Add the snowpeas for the last 3 minutes or so..

Serve with rice!

Are you a Jamie Oliver fan or a green curry fan?  Or are you both?
Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Deb Dane on August 17, 2011 at 1:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Love both Jamie O. and green curry. My husband is the main curry cook in this house so we various curries each week.

I love Jamie Oliver's recipes because they always seem to be simple and work well (same goes for Donna hay)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015