Thursday, August 4

Lunchbox Legends (or afternoon tea) cheese, bacon and spring onion scones


 
Well finally yesterday I got to play with my newest kitchen toy.   Since getting my kitchenaid two years ago (I know!! 2 years has flown right?)  I've been wanting an extra bowl.   Then the glass bowl came out  late last year and I knew I would need to have it... and this week that became a reality.

Those of you who are KitchenAid users, it's bigger than the standard bowl, but it still fits perfectly.  Of course if you have a scraper blade it's not going to be perfect but it still works.  It's a really thick glass too, think pyrex x 2-3 times thickness.   Mine cost $175 - and that might seem a like a lot but to me, it's worth it - think of all the photographs right?

So to 'baptise' my new bowl I decided to make some savoury scones.  I've gone a bit off sweet stuff lately - and my girls love cheese and bacon so I figured it would do the job.  These are very easy and full of flavour, gorgeous cut in half and a dab of (real please!) butter.


Ingredients:
3 cups self raising flour
200g cold butter, diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
250 g finely diced bacon - grilled or fried
1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
2 spring onions, finely chopped (or cheat like me and whizz them in the food processor)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg yolk


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

In your mixing bowl add salt pepper and then add the butter bit by bit by either rubbing in with your fingertips or using the mixer on a low speed until it combines and resembles chunky bread crumbs.   Add the cheese and stir until spread throughout the flour.

Next add the spring onion and bacon, again mix it through well.

Lastly whilst mixing on a low add the butter milk until it comes together - it may take a little less or a little more...

It will become a soft dough.


Pour dough out onto a floured surface and shape into an oblong or square about 1.5 inches thick.

Cut the slab into squares or triangles (Oh OK you can cut them into circles if you MUST!) the idea is not to work the dough too much or your scones won't be as soft when cooked.

Place onto greased baking tray and glaze with mixture of egg yolk and some buttermilk (about half/half)

Bake for 15 minutes

Serve warm or cold (believe me they are delicious cold too!)  Freeze if you wish for up to 2 months in an airtight container or zip lock bag.


So have I inspired you to bake today..??
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Unknown on August 4, 2011 at 6:47 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh man Im making these they look amazing~~!!!

Leimay on August 4, 2011 at 10:16 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooooh yummy!
I'm thinking maybe some roasted cherry toms on top would go down well too?? Maybe its just my head with the cheese, bacon and tom combination!

Unknown on February 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yep Sunday I am going to try this, my daughter is picky with her lunch box but loves bacon so hopefully this is a winner with her


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015