Monday, August 1

On your baking list: Cherry struesel cake


Hello Monday... how did you get here so quickly?  I'm looking down the barrel of a busy week here and I'll be so looking forward to Wednesday this week for a few reasons:

1.  It's my day off work.  My frills love that I can take them school, be home when they get home.  I love that too (I miss it!)
2.  It's my day off work. (Did I say that already?)
3.  I can cook.  Seriously, last week I found immense joy in just chopping vegetables because I missed being in my kitchen so much.  Is that sad? (Actually don't answer that!)
4.  My lovely newsletter comes out on Wednesday, I look forward to sending it out each month - we're all about 'staying organised and coping with busy times' this month.
4.  I'll be announcing a FABULOUS giveaway, and I KNOW you'll all want it! (I want it!)

I hope you'll all love and make this recipe - it's perfect for morning or afternoon tea if you are hosting or meeting someone.  Lovely with a cup of tea or coffee.  The streusel-ly top gives it a lovely soft crunch and the inside is soft with those cherries that just 'pop' with flavour.   My guest who had this with me last week for afternoon tea took two extra slices home..... if that's not an endorsement....?

The recipe is inspired from one of Rachel Allen's (too many changes to call it adapted!) - I love and adore her and I know she's not everyone's cup of tea but I love her approach to baking - it's simple, it's got strong elements of tradition and it's delicious - not much to dislike if you ask me!

Ingredients:
Cake
2 1/2 cups self raising flour
2/3 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
2 eggs
200 g melted butter
1 400g tin cherries, drained

Streusel
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
50 g cold butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder

Method:
Preheat oven to 170 degrees c

Melt your butter and when it has cooled for about 5 minutes or so, add the eggs, and stir well.

Place your flour, sugar and cinnamon into a bowl, and mix well until well combined.

It's not hard to do, but it may take a little arm work!

Drain your cherries, and gently distribute them through your dough.

Grease and paper your baking tin, transfer the dough in and smooth out the top.

Mix your streusel ingredients either with the tiops of your fingers or with a food processor, it should be wet sand consistency. Sprinkle over the top of your cake batter.

Bake for 45-55 minutes.

Remember, a cup of tea (or coffee) is perfect for this cake, but the kids will love it too!

Enjoy your Monday - what are you looking forward to this week?




Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on August 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hehe the third cherry recipe I've seen today-i'm not complaining, I love cherries! YAY for days off too ;)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015