Tuesday, February 1

Lunchbox Legends: Lemon poppyseed muffins


Well nothing like a last minute effort is there?  Given I have been in denial about my girls starting and going back to school, when Eloise started back yesterday I was the first up at 6.15 and ready to bake.  I made a lemon poppyseed cake I took from Smitten Kitchen on the weekend but it was too dense and it lacked a certain something so I was determined to improve upon this and decided to just adapt the orange sour cream bribe cake recipe a bit.  

So it was wonderful to be up before my little ones getting ready for the day and taking it in my stride.  Eloise woke as I was putting them in the oven and then she was almost completely ready to go before 8am when I woke her little sisters up who had had a very restless sleep ahead of their 'best start' assessment at school in the morning.

And whoohoo.  Delicious, 22 little muffins made and 18 tucked away for lunches.  All before we headed off to school too!

Here's Eloise a Year 1 girl!

And here's our notes and nametags for the little frills, given at their assessment today - 3 sleeps til school starts for them and believe me, they are COUNTING!

Ok back to the recipe!

Ingredients: (Makes 22 muffins or 1 bundt cake)
250g butter at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
zest of 2 lemons
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb soda
2 cups plain flour
1 cup sour cream
4 tb poppyseeds

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c
Mix your butter with a mixer for about a minute until nicely aerated.  Add sugar and continue to beat until light pale and fluffy.

Add egg yolks - one at a time and when they are combined add the zest then the vanilla, bicarb and baking soda.
 

In another bowl, beat your egg whites until combined. Fold this into your mixture.

Then add the flour and when all combined add the sour cream and the poppyseeds.  Mix until light and fluffy. 

Spoon into your well-greased pan or your cupcake papers or pan.

Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.  Yummy warm but freeze well too.  They are light and flavoursome and all kinds of wonderful.
Post Options

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Mishelle said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh isn't she sweet!!

Your daughters have uniforms! I love that! Wish my kid's school did that!

A bribe cake... must try that! Looks wicked!

M

Ruth Stuettgen on June 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Don't the paper cups go funny after coming out of the freezer? any alternatives to poppy seeds? My son would probably not eat them then, coul d just leave them out I guess.

Will be trying some of your recipes!

Ruth :))


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015