Monday, February 28

Some tips on how to take photos of food


Photographer Jeremy and stylist Tracey hard at work
Hey I'm no photographer, or even photographers assistant.. but I do like to take a photo or two - especially of my frills!  These days I'm taking a lot of photos of food and when I was offered a day on a photo shoot with Australian Good Taste it was an offer I wasn't going to pass up.  No siree!

I'll give you the full low-down on the day (ironically I did take SO many photos!) but for now, especially with today being the last day to enter the KleenexMums favourite family dinner competition - I thought I'd quickly pass on the tips that the lovely Denise from News Magazines gave me on the day to pass on to you!

She told me there was three 'rules' to focus on (boom-tish)
Side and back light
LIGHT:  Ensure your subject has both side and back light to eliminate shadowing.
Natural light is best but you can simulate it by diffusing direct lamp light  - you can do this by making a home made diffuser with white ricepaper over a frame (I'm so going to do this)

COMPOSITION:  (I must do this now) Take some test shots of your empty containers/bowls with your 'props' if you have them in the position you'd like the final shot/photo.  Check the light, whether it's too busy or not and how it fills up the lens.
Checking the composition

APERTURE:  Ever wondered how they get those shots where the object in the foreground is in full focus but the things in the background are blurry?  You can do this using your aperture feature on your camera - usually an 'a' on your dial.  You need to set your aperture setting to about 5.6 to get a full blur - and the more you increase the more in focus the background objects appear.
This is the dish before they put it on the set - watch out for the November 2011 issue to see the finished product!

There's lots of other tricks - but these are great ones to start with don't you think?  
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Christie on February 28, 2011 at 7:28 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh how fun! I love behind the scenes tours! I hope you got to eat some of the days dishes :)

Diminishing Lucy on February 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

When I was a kitchen hand in a commercial kitchen (at a very very young age) the owner/chef would often prepare food for photos - between her, the stylist and the photographer, it was amazing.

I am so envious of your tour!

PlanningQueen on February 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great post Liss. Lots for me to take on board. Although, I don't think I will ever have time to take the photo, check it then take it again - but would love too!

Seana Smith on March 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is really interesting and I'll enjoy hearing more. But gotta say that your photos are great. It's so helpful to have your photos there with the recipe.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015