Wednesday, February 23

A shift is coming my way...




And I can feel it...  I'm a mixture of excited and sad.  I'm going back to the corporate workforce.

Not just yet though - mid this year - I'll have the frills settled into school and I'll be ready.   I'm very lucky to love what I do - I'm a project manager/consultant and have worked in my field and specifically this role for a number of companies for the past 12 years - take about 3 years off in the past 6 since I had my babes.

I'm looking forward to working with new clients, fixing issues, being challenged coming across old colleagues, meeting new ones.   I'm looking forward to having more financial freedom, a place to be other than home, getting my hair cut on a regular basis - shopping for work clothes and shoes, let's not forget the shoes.  The kids will be able to do more 'extras' and I'll be able to upgrade my computer, my phone and everything else I've neglected since I finished up work.

You see, for me to be the one at home - we made significant material sacrifices.  I was the major breadwinner of our family - my hubby though well qualified and experienced and at the top of his game, does not have half the earning capacity I do.. and that's not his fault - it's just our industries.  But we've gone without things like holidays, new clothes, haircuts, beauticians (OK that's just me) two cars, swimming-ballet-and-the-like-type lessons and even pre-school because to us, well more importantly me - with my hubby's support - to be at home with our girls whilst they were young.  There's only one chance to do this and because we did have them so close together in the scheme of things -it wasn't too long to 'go without' or be out of the workforce.

No regrets.  But my hubby will be very relieved to see that extra income coming in you can imagine!

So all in all this year is a big change for all of us.  I will miss being there for every drop off and pick-up, being able to help the school in a physical way as much as I do now, attending every little performance or carnival, hosting playdates every week and all the things I'm enjoying now.  I shall be savouring every bit of it - because before long our life will be a rush of dropping off, picking up, getting home, fed, homework done and bed each night.   Hopefully I can work 3 or 4 days a week but that's not always possible in my line of work - nor is working from home.

And of course, I'll be keeping up the blog - it is my sanity I tell you - I'll NEED to continue my blog to keep me sane!

Are you a working parent to school-aged kids?  Any tips you want to impart to me?
[image]
Print this post in friendly format

8 lovely comments:

Diminishing Lucy on February 23, 2011 at 6:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ahhh Liss, we walk such similar pasths.

Me too.

I have a year left of delicious stay at homeness. I have dipped my toe in for some parttime work just now, as it paves the way beautifully for Jan 2012. (By which time Lexie, my youngest, will have done one full term at school...)

I didn't know you were a project manager, although it makes perfect sense. Me too.

xx

Jaime on February 23, 2011 at 7:53 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I hope you're happy about the changes Liss, I can tell you're happy about the shoes!

It does suck not being there for every drop off and pick up - but they adjust. And in my case at least, its taught our little boy a lot more responsibility, which has been great for him.

Good luck. xx

Fiona T on February 23, 2011 at 8:31 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow, exciting and, with some organisation, it will be fine. I work part time at the moment and have found that one of the best things to organise me is doing a meal calander for weeknight dinners. I have a well stocked deep freezer, so the planner helps me quickly organise my green groceries and supermarket shopping each week. That is my biggest saviour! I look forward to reading more of your ideas and experience. Fi

Poppy Seed Baby on February 23, 2011 at 8:34 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Fantastic news Liss - congrats on the new job! I am currently trying to juggle a newborn and work from home - it's tough work! I'm so excited for you to wear nice work clothes again, I am actually going to a client meeting today and have to wear something decent - how nice! Ps. I love that picture - can I borrow it for my blog?

Super Sarah on February 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Its been nearly 5 years since I walked out of the office to have Amy in London. I do miss the financial security, my husband has a great job but the earning capacity is much lower. Still, we have changed our lives, moved countries and given up a lot so I could stay home with the girls. Its still a few years before I will have two at school and I am building up my photography business so hopefully one day I can contribute financially again while finding that personal fulfilment that I do miss!

Veronica on February 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ah Liss ...the life of having two worlds...work world and home world. In my experiance they are diammetrically opposed. I I found it best to work the days in a block that way you gain some momentium. Stop/starting is hard on work and the kids. If you can do it work the Monday as you get all the public holidays (that applies if you are on a salary though). Very exciting for you!!! :-)

Unknown on February 23, 2011 at 11:10 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

No matter what you do, you won't be able to please all the people all the time. Decide what is important at home and at work and let the rest go. Don't EVER feel guilty about not being somewhere - whether it is work or home related. Sometimes hard decisions have to be made and guilt doesn't change the outcome. And occasionally, if your kids have to have lunch orders two or three times in a week, that's ok too. Good luck!

Abbington on March 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've gone back to work part-time between each of my children, and my eldest is at school. I second the comment on meal planning - and on work days we aim for either a slow cooker meal, a 'reheat' meal, or a super-quick meal. Also, sit down and discuss with your partner in advance how you are going to share (or otherwise) child 'sick days'. Try to ease into the new routines before you actually start back (eg with the meal types, or working out when homework will be done)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015