Wednesday, February 9

Lunchbox legends: Master muffin recipe - plus one with that donut taste!


I'm trying to mix it up a bit for my girls - I don't mind giving them a treat in their lunchboxes but try and avoid products with MSG or cooking or buying lunchbox items with artificial flavours or colourings.  I want them to be able to focus on school but still have a little 'something special'.

Yesterday was the first day I'd actually had a day to cook since school resumed and started.  I got busy with some mini quiches and these - whilst also making baguettes for the slow cooker ham soup.  It was so nice to cook again after all the heat we've had - call it therapy!

These are really a basic muffin recipe - you can use it for a base for anything - I'll be showing you over the coming weeks some more ways to use it!


Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk


Topping
15g butter, melted
2 tb caster sugar + 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder


Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c Grease a tin with 12 muffin cups - make sure you grease the rims and inbetween-y bits t ensure if you do have overflow it will be easy to get out.


Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder and mixed spice in one bowl.

In another bowl/jug mix milk, egg, oil and sugar, mix well with fork or whisk.

Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined - try not to overmix.

Pour into greased muffin tray - up to 3/4 to the top - I love using the tupperware mini-ladle -if you are going to a party or have a dealer, buy one - I love it and use it alot!

Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.  Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon mix.




Suitable to freeze for up to 2 months.

Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Kristie on February 9, 2011 at 7:02 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooooh. I like your whisk! it is so preeeeeeeetty!

Super Sarah on February 9, 2011 at 8:37 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is just the recipe I was needing for muffins, I am struggling to make three preschool lunchboxes a week, let alone you making three a day!

Jaime on February 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

perfect timing on this recipe Liss. Have to do some more school baking today. thanks!

Rosa on February 9, 2011 at 3:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! Thanks for posting this, guess what the kids had for morning tea? I made them into 30 mini muffins for my toddlers and the rest is heading for the freezer! Thanks :)

i-mumma on February 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh goody, I have all of the ingredients for these. I am going to give them a go for our play-date tomorrow!

Super Sarah on March 16, 2011 at 10:09 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Finally getting around to making a batch, can you confirm what temp the oven should be? I am going for moderate 180 degrees, hope thats right!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015