Thursday, February 24

Fresh, quick and yummy - Yabby salad


Yabbies you say?  Yabbies?  Are you sure?

If you grew up near or have holidayed near freshwater creeks, odds on you may have been yabbying.  Yabbies I would describe as like a mini-lobster with the taste or a gamey-like prawn.  You cook them similar to a lobster - if they are fresh - freeze them first to put them to sleep and then straight into boiling water for a minute - two tops!  If you've bought them cooked, just peel them similar to a prawn.
image credit

They are actually beautiful barbequed - just the tails - with butter and garlic.

Today, I just made a salad - because I felt like something refreshing and I love the taste of the yabby with the dressing and the crunch of the lettuce - let's call it a 70's deja-vu moment to a prawn cocktail perhaps....

But my kids ate it - they love their seafood and particularly prawns - when they are prawns on the table - there's a scramble - now we can add yabbies to that list also.


Ingredients:
1/2 iceberg lettuce, roughly torn
3 truss tomatoes, cut in eight pieces each
1 lebanese cucumber, diced
1 kg yabbies, cooked, peeled and de veined
Dressing
3 tb mayonnaise
2 tsp tomato sauce
1/4 tsp tabasco sauce


Method:
Mix contents of your mayo and mix well.

Layer the lettuce, then tomato, cucumber, yabbies and lastly dressing.

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Mammamusing on February 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My most favourite memories are going yabbying on my aunty's farm and then in later years my sister's and feasting on piles of yabbies.

I agree they are delicious bbq'd.

Christie @ Poppy Seed Baby on February 24, 2011 at 3:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Love this homage to the classic prawn cocktail - I adore Yabbies!

Vicki on February 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh yum! i <3 Yabbies! Did quite a bit of it as a kid myself. Me and my brother used to take some string and some pieces of meat and go yabbying down the creek by ourselves! This recipe looks delicious!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015