Tuesday, February 8

Party Palooza or school fete: The toffee/candy apple!



These are so cute!  I haven't made these for a good twenty five years so when a friend asked me if I could make her some for her gorgeous rosey-cheeked-baby-girl for her first birthday how could I say no?  Well I just couldn't and of course I didn't!

I have grand memories of eating toffee apples at school fetes and I figure we could all use a good recipe because with P&C/P&F and PTA's all ready to reconvene here at schools around the country (ours convenes tonight) there's bound to be a fundraising stall - be it cake stall or full blown carnival... so here's an idea for you!

Some extra tips:  don't make these if it's humid - toffee is temperamental in humidity.  Secondly as soon as you've covered your toffee apples, have a patty-pan or two on standby, fill those and then put your saucepan straight in hot soapy water to avoid sticky-toffee-saucepan :)


Ingredients:
12 small to medium red apples (I used gala)
3 cups white sugar
3 tb glucose syrup
1 cup water
1 tsp red food colouring


Method:
Mix your sugar, glucose syrup, water and food colouring in a saucepan - with a sugar thermometer (only about $5-6 at homeware stores) stir it to combine.

Whilst that simmers away - grease a baking tray and also put some chilled water (I used a mini-freezer block to keep it cold) on an assembly line somewhere you can put your hot saucepan (so if you can't put it on your surface find a trivet or wooden chopping board etc)

Put your sticks in your apples and set up in your assembly line.    Also fill your sink with hot soapy water.


When it starts to boil, don't stir anymore, just watch it boil - and when it gets to 295 degrees c - remove from the heat and put on your assembly line.

Then dip your apples - if you need to tilt your apple to make sure it gets covered well,  twist to distribute the toffee evenly.

Then dip it in your cold water saucepan/bowl - and then rest on your greased tray.

Wait until completely set before wrapping in cellophane and ribbon!



Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on February 8, 2011 at 4:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My mother always told me the bought ones used old or bruised apples so this automatically has an advantage!

Lisa said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh I used to love these when I was small! Could you use blue colouring too? Would it still turn out blue?(my son is obsessed with blue!)

Liss on February 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Lisa, you could do blue but I would do it on a granny smith apple....?

Penelope on February 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

So the icewater dip stops the toffee pooling down the bottom?


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015