Friday, February 4

Low Fat Friday with Lucy: Crunchy Vietnamese Style Salad


Thanks to Lucy for this wonderful (and flavoursome) recipe today - great for these hot nights!  Hope you enjoy and see you on Sunday for the Baking Project! xxx


Lucy writes:
This salad is a wonderful favourite of mine, and my husbands. Especially during spells of really hot weather - the flavours are gorgeous and it is so easy. And so healthy. But so tasty.  Plus, of course, it's low in fat. High in protein. Very low in processed carbs. And low GI. A perfect diminishing recipe!

This salad can also be made with beef, cooked prawns or sliced cooked chicken breast or simply without meat at all. To enjoy the fresh flavours combine the ingredients just before serving.


Crunchy Vietnamese Style Salad
Serves 4

Ingredients:
250g bean sprouts
400g beef steak, grilled to medium rare OR grilled chicken breast OR cooked prawns
Handful of fresh mint
Handful of fresh coriander
Handful of small basil leaves
1 carrot, chopped into sticks
200g snow peas, sliced into strips
1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 fresh red chilies, finely sliced
½ cup roasted peanuts or fava beans*, roughly chopped
Juice of two limes (about 2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 tablespoon Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
1 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce

Method:

Pull the leaves from the mint and coriander stalks. Place in a large bowl with the bean sprouts, cucumber, garlic, chili and nuts.

Mix remaining ingredients, whisk well to combine. Pour over salad mixture and toss gently to combine.

Divide the salad mixture amongst four deep plates, top with sliced beef/chicken or prawn.

* I use roasted fava beans as they are much lower in fat than peanuts, and much higher in protein. And they are low GI.

If you do try this, let me know how you enjoy it? And whether you used chicken, beef or prawns?
Print this post in friendly format

8 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss,
Can you please explain the roasted fava beans? Are these uncooked beans roasted in the oven or cooked and then roasted? Fresh or dried?
Thanks in advance,
Katie

Diminishing Lucy on February 4, 2011 at 11:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Katie - you can buy roasted salted fava beans in most continental delis. They might be labelled roasted salted bread beans.

OR you can buy dried broad beans, soak them and roast them yourself.

Hope that helps! Cheers, Lucy

Diminishing Lucy on February 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Katie - I just dug out the recipe for roasted fava beans for you -

Diminishing Lucy: Teachers Pet......

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Lucy! I will try that. We eat lots of pulses here, lentils, beans, etc...I normally put the broad beans in soups and my homemade baked beans. This will be another good use. BTW - I have read your blog/story and feel such a connection to my life. I am on my journey too to a better, healthier weight and life. Had always poo pooed shake diets too but you are making me think again. I've lost 10kg with really another 25kg to get me where I want to be. Thank you for sharing your story, it is really motivating me. xxx Katie

Diminishing Lucy on February 4, 2011 at 1:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Katie, thank you so much for that - I am so glad.Motivation is gold. Hang onto it!

Mammamusing on February 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This recipe looks delicious!

My weekly veg order arrived with snow peas and a bunch of coriander and my garden is overflowing with cucumbers so I'll be making this for sure.

Thanks
Kate

4 kids, 20 suitcases and a beagle on February 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Lucy, I have no idea roasted Fava beans existed? I live in the land of beans so I'll be looking a little closer at the markets this week. Excellent recipe. Thank you so much for posting it.

Kirstyx

Lisa on February 4, 2011 at 9:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just made this with chicken for dinner - yum!!

Thanks for the fab recipe


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015