Tuesday, February 15

Lime buttermilk cake


I found myself with an abundance of limes leftover from our Australia Day soiree and I hate to see them go to waste - usually I would make a lime coconut cake but I did want to make something that I could freeze for later - I love having a cake on hand for those busy weeks where I don't have time to bake and have visitors.  Turns out it wasn't in the freezer for long as on the weekend I did a long day at the markets and then Sunday I crumpled in a heap.  Hubby defrosted it and it was afternoon tea Sunday and a few day's morning tea.

Pretty easy peasy and using pantry staples - if you have some limes and some butter - get cracking - would be equally nice using lemons or oranges.


Recipe adapted from from Enchanted Kitchen (sans icing)
Ingredients:



250g butter, softened
2 limes, rind finely grated
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
210ml buttermilk


Method:
Preheat oven to 170 degrees c

After you've separated your eggs, beat your whites until you get firm peaks, set aside.

Then cream your butter and sugar, add egg yolks and lime zest

Sift in your self raising flour and then mix as you pour in the buttermilk.

Lastly fold through the egg whites and then pour into your greased tin.


Bake for 50 minutes, remove from oven and cool on rack.

Then turn it up the 'right way!
 


If you wish to ice - use the juice from the limes with some 1 1/2 cups icing sugar and add enough to get to a thick-ish consistency - add water if you don't have enough juice.  Drizzle over cake.
Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

greenfumb on February 15, 2011 at 4:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have a few limes on my tree so I am going to do the coconut one. Just wanted to let you know that I have successfully frozen that Delia one and then just did the drizzly bit when it defrosted.

How are you finding being at home alone? x


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015