Sunday, February 20

Sunday baking project - Make yourself some buns for lunches of hamburgers!



Call me cheap - I prefer frugal but I actually resent paying $4-$5 for 6 bread rolls for a hamburger etc.  I know you can get cheaper ones but for my hamburgers I do like them a little on the sweet side - sweet-ish bread rolls can make such a difference when serving chicken burgers in particular so I last week I made some and I'm going to make some again this week to stash.

They are very filling and not too sweet - they are lovely toasted.  Give them a try if you feel like baking!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup milk
4 tsp yeast
1/4 cup caster sugar
5 cups plain flour

Method
Combine the water, milk and yeast in a bowl/jug - leave to sit for 5 minutes until it froths 

In a mixer with a dough attachment or a large bowl combine sugar and flour, add your yeast/milk mixture and mix well and knead in your machine for about 3-4 minutes or by hand for about 8 minutes.  Place in a greased (I just spray with canola) and cover with clingfilm or a damp tea-towel.

Allow to rise until it doubles in size (whoah baby!)

Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

Divide the dough into 8 or 10 equal portions (depending how big you want your buns to be) and slit the tops by slightly crossing them with a sharp knife.  

Transfer to well greased baking trays and set aside for a second proving for about 30 minutes.  Place them close-ish together so they rise UP.  Brush with milk and place in the oven and bake for about 15-18 minutes.

Allow to cool before packaging in airtight container/ziplock bag to store on counter for 2 days or in the freezer for 2 months.


Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Katie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Liss! (as always!) I make a similar bun as I too begrudge paying for highly priced, over processed supermarket garbage! I glaze with a beaten egg and top with sesame or poppy seeds or nigella seeds. The egg gives a great dramatic burnished finish. Going to try your recipe with the next burger run! Thanks again!

Diminishing Lucy on February 20, 2011 at 9:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh goddess, these look SO good.

I have steak on our menu plan this week - I may make these rolls, and have steak sandwiches with onion relish....

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have forwarded this recipe to my husband as we normally have burgers once a week and he always buys the store stuff! Thanks!

Lisa on February 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for a great recipe! I made these last night and they were a hit, hubby and the kids loved the sweeter buns!
Ta!

Josh Marshall on March 6, 2011 at 7:31 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hey these buns looked so great I just had to try making them... but looks like the quantities are out, I had to add a whole extra cup of water to make it work, the mix was way too dry with just 1/2 cup of water. So increase to 1.5 cups and it turns out really nice. Thanks for the recipe it was super-easy and devoured by my little boys!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015