Tuesday, February 22

Mug'o'vanilla almond muesli? For those naughty people who forget breakfast (like me!)



I'm a terrible breakfast eater. Terrible.  And I find it's getting worse since all girls are now at school because I have three times as much nagging to do (Ok, it's not too bad but I seem to repeat myself A LOT).  I really need to get myself on the breakfast bandwagon - and I think I've found something that might get me on it.

Muesli in a cup.

Now I'm a bit of a muesli snob and I can't eat any old muesli.  It needs to be toasted for a start (I know not so great but better than no breakfast) and it needs to be a little bit sweet.  I think of this muesli as my 'reward' for getting everyone fed, dressed and packed and it takes no time to prepare and eat.

I even eat it out of a coffee cup (given I don't drink coffee anyways).

So here it is:  Vanilla almond muesli.  It's delicious, it doesn't taste sugary luckily and the vanilla is subtle but it is just the right amount of sweet and lots of crunch.

I make enough for a few weeks - and given I'm only having a cup-ful at a time I don't feel too bad for the sugar indulgence...


Ingredients:
1/2 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 tb vanilla extract
1/4 cup water
1 kg rolled oats
100g slivered almonds
1/4 cup brown sugar


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c

In a saucepan combine the caster sugar, vanilla extract, water and maple syrup over a medium heat - when the sugar dissolves completely, take off heat and set aside.


In a large bowl, put your oats and almonds

Pour the saucepan contents over the oats/almonds and mix well.

Pour onto 2 baking trays lined with baking paper and pop into the oven.

After about 5 minutes, take out of the oven and toss the mixture about, swapping the shelves you place the trays on when you return them to the oven.  Repeat this process twice again and then sprinkle both trays with the brown sugar, dividing it between the two trays and mixing throughout the oats.

Return to the oven for the last time for 5 minutes.  Remove without tossing and allow to cool for 30 minutes before transferring to an airtight container or ziplock bag to store before eating!

Are you bad at breakfast?
Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohh this looks good!!! Think I might make it to stir through some yoghurt!!! Yum Yum

Super Sarah on February 22, 2011 at 8:19 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is absolutely my kind of breakfast. I don't like storebought muesli as I am not a fan of dried fruit in my cereal, its too chewy. This with a spoonful of yogurt stirred through would be delicious.

Pauline said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG that is a lot of sugar. You have to be kidding yourself.

Veggie Mama on February 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! I'm always slack about making my own muesli, though when I do, it's amazing. I always have a mix of toasted and untoasted though, so I don't feel so guilty! still has a nice sweet crunch. So good mixed with yogurt. Also nice to see someone else that eats out of a mug! sometimes bowls are just too big :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

this looks yummy (although a bit like a special treat for me!)
i love my breakfast... must eat it every day... find it's essential to get me going for the day (not to mention it helps keep my metabolism firing and weight down!)
amy

Liss on February 22, 2011 at 12:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Pauline It does seem like a lot of sugar I agree - it does make (I just worked it out) 18 serves for me which does work out to be roughly just over a tb of sugar per serve.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015