Wednesday, February 18

The Great Cookie Commotion


Gotta love a simple and delicious recipe to have fun with the kids. Add to boot it's pretty inexpensive and I didn't have to even leave the house with a shopping list.

Katy has shared this recipe with many, that she got from the Simple Savings website. Thanks Katy!

Apparently this mix makes 120 biscuits, but for us it made 62, but I didn't use the full 5 cups of self-raising flour, instead 3.5 cups of SRF and 1.5 of plain... might make a difference, also my cookies are about 6-7cm diameter and about 1cm high.. you could make teensy-dinky ones if you want!

Ingredients:
500gr butter or margarine (I used 2 sticks of fairy margarine)
1 cup sugar
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
5 cups of self-raising flour (again I used 3.5 selfraising and 1.5 of plain - worked well)

Method:
Cream softened butter/margarine with sugar with electic beater, pour in sweetened condensed milk and keep beating, then turn to low speed, and add flour, 1 cup at a time and combine. Take out of bowl and you can either:

a) Put some in glad wrap and put in the freezer for another day or b) Use the whole lot like we did and divide it up into as many variations of cookie you would like.

What we did today:
Divided into 4.

- mix 1 lot with 1 cup of sultanas (Olivia's cookies)
- mix 1 lot with 1/2 cup of 100's and 1,000's (Laura's cookies)
- mix 1 lot with 2tb ginger and 1.5 tb cinnamon (Liss' cookies)
- leave the last lot... for now.

Once each lot has been mixed, roll into balls and then squash flat-ish onto a greased tray, bake in 180deg oven for about 12 minutes.

The last lot we rolled the same, but squished down and then poked a hole in the top with your finger to make a small well. fill with a little strawberry jam - making jam drops... (Eloise's cookies)

Now for our pics:

Our little cooks:

Olivia's sultana cookies:
Eloise's Jam Drops (modelled by Olivia!) :

Taste testers

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Kat on February 18, 2009 at 10:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh very cool, we made cheapskate cookies yesterday with the store bought cookie dough, I promised Taleisha we would give it a proper go another day, now I have this recipe I have no excuses :)

Katy on February 19, 2009 at 1:35 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love Eloises' jam drop cookies, they look delicious, in fact they all do.... Excellent baking efforts ladies!

Krysbrem on February 19, 2009 at 3:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ohhh now you have made me want to bake cookies... Thing is if I do that then I want to eat them also....

celia on July 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thank you! I used the recipe with 5 cups of SR flour and I got 95 cookies. I could probably have stretched it out to 120 cookies but they would have been pretty small ones. I'll post a blog piccie tonight. thanks for the recipe!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015