Friday, July 29

Fast food on a friday: Wonton soup



Back in the 'olden days' before I was married and had kids, I used to work like a maniac.  12 hours days in the office were quite the norm, and I as I neared my house, I would call the takeaway at the top of my street and pre-order the same thing every time.  Short soup and steamed dim sims.   Every.single.time.

When this part of my life was played before me by Miranda on Sex and the City it felt eerie.   The lady who took my order would hear my voice and rattle off my order.  Funnily enough I didn't find it irritating or embarrassing.... I kinda liked it!

This one is a great if you're serving it up to many at a time, it doesn't really take long to prepare and my Eloise asked for more 'MORE MUM!!!'.

Ingredients:
wontons
300g pork, minced or diced
10 green prawns, peeled
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp minced or finely chopped ginger
2 tb oyster sauce
1 packet wonton wrappers

broth
2 spring onions, finely chopped
2 tb soy sauce
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
3 litres chicken stock
2 baby bok choy


Method:
Prepare your wontons first by placing pork, prawns, garlic, oyster sauce in your food processor and process until well combined.

Like this!  If you don't have a food processor, don't worry - make sure you use minced pork and chop your garlic, ginger, and prawns very finely, and combine.

Wonton wrappers can be found in the refrigerated section of your supermarket - usually near the fresh pasta.  If you have no luck there try an asian grocer.

Peel a wrapper of the stack (be sure it's one at a time, they are quite think) and scoop a teaspoon of mixture into the centre.

Bring the corners together and press with your fingers to make little 'purses' like this:

Next fry off your garlic, ginger and spring onion in say 1/4 cup of your stock until it softens. Then add the remainder of the stock, soy sauce (to taste, if you want to add more, go for your life!) and then bring to a simmer and add the baby bok choy.

Drop your dumplings/wontons in one at a time and stir around in between each placement.  Leave to simmer for about 10-15 minutes...

Serve!

This will make plenty of wantons where no-one is saying 'hey, I got ripped off!' (as I have said about a good many short soups in my time!

So there you go!  Fast food you can make yourself! Willing to give it a try?

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Mel Vaz said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yum....I'm really keen to try this. I love won tons but you never really knows what goes into them. I was just having this discussion yesterday!


Great pics.

Sarah on July 29, 2011 at 12:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This lloks seriously fantastic. It has given me an instant craving for them. Thinking I will be making these this week.

Bluebird on October 8, 2011 at 8:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I tried this tonight for dinner and everyone said how good it was.....better than restaurant!!!! Thanks for sharing. I love cooking food that gets a reaction like that. :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015