Friday, July 15

Lemon pistachio biscotti



Years ago I worked in my family's business (in the numbers department) - some of this business included a restaurant and in that restaurant there was usually a ready supply of biscotti.  I am absolutely sure we never made a profit on these biscotti because the staff would regularly help themselves.   I don't even want to think about the percentage of these that were consumed by staff, but I'm sure it was a larger number than I'd care to admit.  That and an amazing chicken burger (I really do need to replicate that) still hold a special place in my heart from those 'good ol' days'.

These days, whenever I make biscotti, it seems they disappear quickly too - I guess it's the 'spell of the fresh biscotti' crunchy, fragrant and full of flavour.  Perfect dipped in your tea or coffee.  They also feel like you get the 'mileage' out of them because they take a little longer to eat.  I had three little people circling the kitchen whilst these cooked - the combination of lemon, vanilla and pistachio is an aroma is a little hard to resist!

Ingredients:
3 large eggs
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup olive oil
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
grated lemon rind of one large waxy lemon
3 cups Plain flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup shelled pistachios



Method:
Preheat oven to 150 degrees c
In a small bowl or jug mix lemon zest, vanilla extract, caster sugar, eggs, melted butter and olive oil.

In a separate yet larger bowl, add flour and baking powder then mix through the wet ingredients.    Lastly add the pistachios

Roll into a long log and place onto a greased tray (or to if your trays aren't long enough)

Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and crispy to the touch.

Leave to cool for about 15-20 minutes then slice the log into desired widths and place the slices onto another tray.

Bake again for 10 minutes first side, then turn over and bake for another 7 minutes the other.
Cool until completely cold before storing in an airtight container for up to 7 days or in the freezer for 2 months.  (mine made 32 biscotti)

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Lucia Demasi said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My Nonna used to make these! Delicious, I think I'll be making a trip down memory lane this weekend with this recipe thank you!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on July 15, 2011 at 11:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Very true! I really feel like I've given my jaw and teeth a workout when I've eaten a biscotti! :P


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015