Monday, July 4

Slowcooker cheaty steak diane



I'm a child of the early seventies, in fact totally giving it away I'm forty in just one week today... I remember there being much hype around steak diane at our house and when I was ten years old we went to the infamous Black Stump Restaurant (such the restaurant du jour those days) for their famous steak diane.

I still remember eating it now.  The softness of the meat, the creamy garlicky sauce.  Literally the melt.  Melting in your mouth.  It's a vivid food memory.  Last week when my washing machine broke I couldn't have planned this meal on a better day.  I pounded those beef fillets with much vigour.  It made me feel a LOT better.  Also the fact that I had dinner done with hardly any effort I could put my energies into the hand-washing that followed (meh).

This recipe would be brilliant when feeding a lot of people because you could literally fit maybe 3kg of beef in your slow cooker.  I'm certainly going to keep this in mind as I have just returned to work also (got to pay for my new washing machine somehow right?) and I'm sure making this up in bulk would be eternally useful (and delicious) and also something to take any work frustrations on (the beef steaks that is)


Ingredients
1 kg beef steaks (I used yearling blade steak)
2 cups beef stock
1/4 cup brandy
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp white pepper
2/3 cup cream


Method:
Pound your steaks with a mallet until thin as you like them (mine were about 3mm thick).  If you don't have a mallet (do try and get one though you can get them inexpensively) you could alternatively slice your steaks carefully in half thicknesses.

Place your steaks in the slowcooker, one at a time and in between each later add some of your sliced garlic and a sprinkle of white pepper.

 After it's loaded up, pour over 2 cups of beef stock and the brandy.  I used the new continental stock that comes in a jelly you dilute with boiling water.. not bad actually.

The pop on the lid and let it go on high for 3 hours, medium for 4.5 hours or low for 6 hours.

 After cooking time is finished, turn it off and let it sit for about 15 minutes outside of the unit(I.e. lift the dish out) to let it cool down a little. stir through the cream and sprinkle with parsley if you like.  Serve!

Enjoy!  So melty-in-the-mouthy!

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

clairbear said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This was suggested to me only last week by my butcher who also happens to be Artie from My Kitchen Rules (last season). Was not sure about the slow cooker thing but certainly going to give it a shot now. Look yummy .

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on July 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh another recipe for the Fast Slow Cooker. I love it! :D


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015