Sunday, July 3

Sunday baking project - Pear and raspberry bread


Earlier this week I had a moment.  A moment where I woke up at 5:15 on a cold winters morning and didn't want to bury my head under the doona.  I've had a lot on my mind this week so I think I instinctively knew there was no going back to sleep so I opted for therapy.  Alone in the crisp of the morning I baked.  I thought I would make my family some pear and raspberry bread so they would wake up to the smell...  that makes me happy and tell me, who doesn't want to wake up to that?

My photographs turned out crappy because it was still dark, so I decided to make it again so I could share them with you - again I used my gorgeous food processor (Breville Kitchen Wizz Pro). I have adapted this from a old Masterchef recipe - but they use a mixer not a food processor.. so as I said, don't worry if you don't have one - I just like the consistency the food processor gives the bread.

So if you're up for a little baking, make some for breakfast or morning or afternoon tea - great to make up in advance and take for lunchbox treats (I'm taking some to work this week!)

Ingredients:
2 tb raspberries (frozen or fresh)
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 egg
4 reasonably sized bosc pears, peeled and cored (or pears from 825g tin - reserve juice/nectar )
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees
Process the raspberries to make a puree - you could just crush and whisk if you didn't have a processor (or you may like to heat and mix then cool)

Place the rest of the ingredients in a food processor and process for about 20 seconds - if you are mixing with a mixer start with egg and oil and add chopped pears, flour and bicarb.

Add half the mixture into a greased loaf pan and then add half the raspberry puree, fold in gently - then add the rest of the mixture and puree, again ribbon it through the mix.
 I love how this food processor has a smaller inner bowl and a larger outer bowl, you don't need to wash up in between!


Bake for 1 hour, cool on rack and slice when cooled.

Suitable to freeze for up to 2 months in an airtight container or wrap.
Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Amy on July 3, 2011 at 11:50 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! I have added the ingredients to my shopping list for wednesday.
Will let you know how I go making it.

Debbie de said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss you have no exaggerated at all on how good this smells. It smells beautiful. It's still in the oven as I write this and my son and husband are both stalking the kitchen. Looking forward to tasting it.

Jasminie on July 14, 2011 at 8:56 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sorry for the stupid question. Is this more like cake than bread? Like banana bread consistency?

Michelle on July 25, 2011 at 10:35 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle on July 25, 2011 at 10:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks wonderful! I'm in the US and wondering how much tb of raspberries is. Thanks so much!

Liss on July 25, 2011 at 10:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Michelle Michelle, 2 tb = 1/8 cup :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015