Monday, July 18

Lunchbox legends: Apricot muesli squares/bars - NUT FREE


Today is the last day of school holidays for my frills.  I know that many schools return today but every first day of 'official' term is student free at our school and are programmed as 'planning days' for the teachers.  I don't begrudge them this as I would rather they have all their school holidays off and come back refreshed and have that day to get the classrooms ready and their heads 'right' and focused for the next term.

I know some parents don't like them and I imagine they are a bit inconvenient for parents who work.

If today's your student-free day and you're at home you might want to give this a go - it's nut-free which most anything with muesli isn't - and it makes 12 'bars' or 24 'squares'  I cut mine into a combination of the two.

Where do you stand on student-free days?  Like or not? Why?

Ingredients
150g butter, melted
2 tb golden syrup
2 eggs 
1 cup (200g) dried apricots, sliced
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups nut-free muesli (I love the Freedom brand, dried fruit, coconut flakes, pepitos and all good stuff in it - not too pricey - about $4.50 for a box)
1 cup self raising flour
2 tb desiccated coconut

Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c

Into your melted (and cooled) butter, add the golden syrup and eggs

Slice your apricots and place them in a large mixing bowl.  Greased and line your slice tray (I used a 20cmx20cm tin)

Add flour, muesli and sugar to the apricots

Pour in the butter, golden syrup and egg mixture into the bowl and combine with a spoon/spatula.

Seriously, I could eat it now...

Pour into your tin, and smooth into the corner.  Sprinkle over the dessicated coconut.

Bake for 30-35 minutes.  Allow to cool for about 30 minutes, then slice

Place in airtight container for 5 days or up to 2 months in the freezer.

The apricots make it chewy and sweet, the muesli and coconut give it some crunch.. all together delicious!

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Look fabulous. I'm looking out for great fresh semi healthy recipes for the kids at the moment. Trying to cut back on pre-packaged foods. I don't mind student free days. I love having the kids home :O)

Bobbie on August 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi, I'm trying to make it, but it doesn't say how much sugar?

Thanks


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015