Thursday, July 21

A bit on the side: Rosti (Hash brown) frittata



Since I went back to work I've found I'm having major withdrawals from cooking, particularly baking.  Come the weekend I'm so super-pumped to cook when I should probably be resting (or cleaning!).  I'm making shopping lists, I'm thinking up stash meals, I'm planning how many things I can make at once and which pieces of kitchen equipment I'm going to need - what's going to need the oven, what's going to need the slow cooker, if I need rising time etc.  It's like I'm writing a mental project plan.  It's just the way my brain works.

Last weekend I didn't think it through so well.  I spent the day practically baking snacks and desserts and it got to 4pm and I realised I hadn't planned dinner.  Whoops.   Asked the frills what they wanted.  Big mistake.  'Hash browns'.  This is usually Daddy's territory and I had the whole kitchen to clean up I didn't want Hubby underfoot and I couldn't be bothered standing over a frypan.   Then I had a bright idea.  (I sometimes have those).

Why not make a hash brown frittata?   I could keep Olivia occupied (she had been my shadow in the kitchen) and whilst it was baking, I could clean up the kitchen and grill a few snags and prepare some greens... we'd have enough leftover to have with breakfast the next day.. genius!

Ingredients:
800g new/washed potatoes unpeeled
1 medium brown onion
6 eggs
1 cup grated cheese
50g ham, chopped
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp salt flakes
1 tb finely chopped parsley

Method:
Preheat the oven to 190 degrees c

Get grating!  You'll need to grate the potatoes, onion and cheese if you have it on the block.  This is where I love, love LOVE my food processor.


With the potato, you'll need to that first, and then place in a tea-towel and squeeze as much moisture out of the potato as possible. You will be surprised at just how much liquid comes out!


Place the potato along with the rest of the ingredients (remember the cheese and onion needs to be grated too!) in a bowl and give it a good mix!


Pour into a greased baking dish and pop in the oven for 40 minutes.   Cool slightly and serve!  


It's great cold too... maybe you want to make this for lunch or dinner today?

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Unknown on July 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for sharing! We order Farmers Direct fruit and veg each week and I always struggle to get through the loads of onion and potato. This should finish them off!! Cheers Pip

Not Quite Nigella on July 22, 2011 at 1:07 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yay I finally got onto your blog! I don't know why I couldn't on my other computer. Anyway, I sometimes do that, plenty of dessert but no dinner-oops!

Lisa on July 22, 2011 at 11:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks awesome! I might have to do this for a couple of days lunches, nice change from sandwiches!

Leimay on July 24, 2011 at 5:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Day 6 of Frills week. Serving this up for dinner tonight for the family.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015